• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps A number of popular c++ libraries ported to android

jonbonazza

Android Expert
Jul 13, 2010
I have created a public github repository that includes a number of popular open source C and C++ libraries that I have ported to android. The github page can be found here:
https://github.com/jonbonazza/common-android-native-libs

Currently, the following libraries are included:
-FreeImage - this is a more compact version of FreeImage that only includes support for BMP, GIF, ICO, JPEG, PCX, PSD, TIFF, PNG, and TGA filetypes.
-FreeSLW - port of Lukas Heise's OpenAL wrapper library, FreeSLW, that supports WAV and OGG Vorbis audio file loading and playback.
-GLU ES This is a port of the OpenGL GLU library to OpenGL ES. This port was not done by me, however I had to do a bit of tweaking to get it to compile for android.
-Lua - This was not done by me, however I thought I would include it here anyway since it can be a pain to find.
-Luabind - This one is my baby. I was not able to find this anywhere else and took a lot of hacking to make it work.

I will add more libraries as they come along and if anyone has one that they would like to contribute, please feel free to email me!

Enjoy!

Reactions: jonathanrz
Working on a couple more options, including:
-CEGUI an OpenGL GUI Library (Useful for game development)
-PCRE a regular expression library (It was required for CEGUI, so I thought I would include it as well. I will also be hosting a port of freetype2 that was done by someone else for convenience.

Upvote 0
OK, so PCRE has been completely ported, but CEGUI is still in the process of being so. It's close, just haven't had time to finish it. I will upload them both when both are complete.

If anyone is interested in writing some Java binding code for any of the libraries, let me know. I don't necessarily need them for my project, but it would be something nice to include.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, CEGUI makes use of the GLEW library and many OpenGL extensions. The GLEW library does not support OpenGL ES, nor do many of the extensions used by CEGUI. Because of this, CEGUI would require major modifications to be sucessfully ported to Android. This is not a job for me, but someone who actually helps maintain CEGUI.

The PCRE library was, however, successfully ported and I will upload it the minute I get a chance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones