• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Promising Music Player App - Astro Player Nova

I asked for clarification and was basically told that my question had been answered sufficiently and I was just being difficult and I should pound sand. Personally I would recommend btunes if you are using 2.1 or earlier. If you're using 2.2 it's a buggy, buggy program and it's no longer supported. Rumor has it the dev is dead. It's easily the best player pre 2.2 I think.

Some people are not the best at diplomacy but good at code. I was off but now I'm back to trying MixZing. I'm also reviewing PlayerPro.

I work in the "New Home Indurstry" in Wisconsin and have loads of time on my hands for obvious reasons. So here I am reviewing for my clients and it's the software i review not the person.

Upvote 0
My whole exchange with the dev can be found here - mixzing.freeforums.org • View topic - What information is being sent to the MixZing server? You can decide for yourself if the answers are sufficient for you or not.
I got an email response back from the Mixzing developer stating that they definitely do not release any data to third parties. So, case closed, stop your worrying. Here is his complete response ...
Hi Alex,
I'm surprised to hear this, we definitely do not share any personal data with third parties. We will soon be posting an official privacy policy stating this. The only time we make any personally identifiable data public is if you opt in to share your music library by giving us your Facebook username, in which case we will be sharing your public profile and music library via our SocialMuse app and feature that will launch in the next month or so. And of course you'll be able to opt out of that if you choose.
Where did you hear that we were sharing personal data? I'd like to clarify that publicly if we can.

--
Peter Jeffe
MixZing

Upvote 0
Not sharing you personal information with 3rd parties is not the same as not collecting information they don't need.
Know what data any application collects is very important, not only because of the possibility they could sell it (or share) but also because now your information resides on their computers and who knows (only them) how secure they are and when they are compromised.

Better not to have this information on anything you do not have control of, if you can.

Upvote 0
Not sharing you personal information with 3rd parties is not the same as not collecting information they don't need.
Know what data any application collects is very important, not only because of the possibility they could sell it (or share) but also because now your information resides on their computers and who knows (only them) how secure they are and when they are compromised.

Exactly, that's why we don't collect any personal information from our users. The only exception to this is when you opt-in to share your music library and profile data by giving us your Facebook id, which is obviously a different case. (And we are very careful about the security of our servers in any case.)

I'm really sorry that A.Nonymous took my initial response in our forum so negatively. I wrongly assumed that he would understand what I meant by keeping our server in sync with a user's library: it just means that we need to know what songs you have on your device. So when you add and delete songs we notify the server so that it can keep up to date on what you have. As I said in our forum, we use that data to give recommendations, download album art, give artist info, etc.

I asked A.Nonymous not to be so dramatic after he said he was "struck" by my "arrogance", and when he claimed that we "secretly collect information on your users and then refuse to disclose the nature of that information when asked." I really was trying to give him the information he wanted, but I obviously failed in this attempt.

I spend a good part of each day being very precise in my communications with our users, and I sincerely apologize that my initial response to A.Nonymous wasn't sufficiently informative--it clearly wasn't my best work. We take support very seriously, and while you can't please everyone I think the large majority of our users would agree that our support is very good.

The bottom line is that we have hundreds of thousands of active users, we're the top media player in the Android market, we've been plugging away at this for two years now, and we're not about to jeopardize all that by collecting personal information from users without their consent. I don't even know what value that information would have, but I'm pretty sure it would be far less than we currently make from our loyal users.

--
Peter Jeffe
MixZing

Upvote 0
Peter after testing several players I have decided on MixZing. I don't care about the feature that looks at my music. It seems I can turn it off so I'm OK.

Your concern in regards to your tech support issue is a good lesson to all. I diffidently will keep it in mind when dealing with my own tech support issues. Thanks for taking the time to explain to all.

Bob

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones