• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A question about GSM androids

androidfear93

Dec 21, 2011
Baltimore, MD
So when I was with verizon, I had the xperia play. I left verizon due to their high monthly fee and went to t-mobile. I did really like the xperia play and I found out there are GSM versions now. So since I have a gsm android phone with t-mobile, would I be able to just purchase the xperia, and put my sim card in it and everything would work?

It needs to have the 1700 MHz band to get HSPA+ on T-Mobile currently. If it doesn't you will only get 2g. The good news is, that by the end of the year t-mo is refarming their 1900 MHz band to HSPA+, so basically any att/international phone will get 3G.

If you really want that phone, you will eventually get 3g/HSPA+. Be aware that setting for mms and data will have to probably be changed, but that's easy enough to find on the internet.

If you want a great pentaband phone for a great price, get the Galaxy Nexus from the Google play store. $400 and it's awesome on T-Mobile's network.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones