• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A thought on our Atrix upload speeds

tekonus

Jul 15, 2010
Long Island, NY
Now, we've all seen speed test upload speeds on our Atrix's that seem horrible for a "4g" phone. My question is, when you are not using a speed test... do you notice it being slow? I, for one, notice this phone uploads things like emails or picture and video messages faster than any other smart phone I've had. So... maybe the speed test apps are wrong?

I will admit that it does send text and emails quick, but AT&T's network is still optimized for the Iphone 4.

My Iphone 3GS suffered from the same thing my Atrix does limited to less than 300kbs on up loads.

Article on Engadget that explains it, they keep saying once the back haul is turned on we will get better uploads.

I don't put a lot of faith in the SpeedTest apps, since you have flash go to the actual Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test site or Homepage of Speakeasy

Upvote 0
I will admit that it does send text and emails quick, but AT&T's network is still optimized for the Iphone 4.

My Iphone 3GS suffered from the same thing my Atrix does limited to less than 300kbs on up loads.

Article on Engadget that explains it, they keep saying once the back haul is turned on we will get better uploads.

I don't put a lot of faith in the SpeedTest apps, since you have flash go to the actual Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test site or Homepage of Speakeasy* - The Powerful, User-Friendly Computational Software to Solve, Create, Explore and run tests. I always do a baseline with my Internet at home before running a test.

They are pretty accurate for my home Internet.

Yeah I tried the regular flash Speedtest.net site on the phone. It seems maybe a little more accurate than the app of the same name. Yet, my cell network upload speed still was just shy of 400kbs. Like I said, though, when using the phone I never notice it being slow. <shrug>

Upvote 0
Technically, the Atrix is negotiating a handshake with the AT&T network at hsupa category 5 or not at all. The iPhone 4 negotiates at cat 6 for HSUPA, which has a max upload transfer rate of 5.76 Mbit/s in perfect conditions. There has been talk about all other devices negotiating at cat 5, which has a max upload transfer rate of 2.00 Mbit/s under perfect conditions. Even cat 1 has a max upload transfer rate of 0.73 Mbit/s, which is higher than what we're seeing here with things capped around 0.4 - 0.5 Mbit/s.

On another note, the downlink capabilities of the Atrix aren't even HSPA+. It only has a cat 10 HSDPA modem for 14.4 Mbit/s downlink speeds. Lowest HSPA+ is cat 13 which has 17.6 Mbit/s downlink.

Just a lot of marketing going on with this phone really.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones