• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A twist on the typical "dropped phone in water" thread

mikec82

Lurker
Aug 9, 2011
I have a Samsung Captivate, version 2.3.5. A week ago, I dropped it in water. Instead of immediately getting online to see what I should do, I made the mistake of letting the components air dry for a couple minutes, then hitting it with a towel and seeing if it worked. At first it worked, but with massive quirks. Now everything seems to be back to normal (camera, internet via wireless, music, apps), except it will not make calls. I should clarify - if I turn the phone off, then turn it back on, I can make 1 call if I make it within the first 30 seconds or so of turning it on. Plus it will temporarily connect to the internet and receive email, texts, etc. during that 30 seconds. But after that, it's back to nothing. It shows that I've got full bars, but when I try to call someone, it switches to the circle with the line through it and says "radio off" and the call doesn't connect. For a while, it was getting stuck in Flight Mode. It was recommended online to backup the phone and do a factory reset. I did that, and am still getting the same issues. Normally I'd be fine with "it fell in water - it's broken!" but I can't figure out why it is working for that first 30 seconds then stops working. In fact, I can call someone in the first 30 seconds, and talk with them for an hour if I wanted! I've replaced the battery AND the SIM card, for what it's worth. Any reply would be appreciated. Sorry for the long rant.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones