• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A very sad day indeed...

Mine gets bogged down every few days. I think perhaps there is an app or a service of some sort that causes it...but I can't be sure.

How would I investigate this? Also, is there a logging service I can run similar to Windows Event Viewer?

I am considering a Task Manager, but I hear a lot of bad things about them with Froyo. Is there some way I can protect all the core apps and services with a task manager app yet kill everything else that isn't a part of my core needs?

I almost want to Reset the phone and then identify all running services and apps as the core items to never be stopped. Then start adding app after that. Is this a sound approach?

Upvote 0
i usually have to power cycle my phone a few times a day just because i use it heavily and i also have 3 batteries for the damn thing lol...

even if i didn't have 3 batteries, i probably would power cycle at least every other day or 2 as i do with my PC, no specific reason, but i just feel the need to "refresh" everything

So, do you have a specific problem that requires multiple reboots per day? Judging by your comments it would seem that you do. I know of no computers, unless they have grave problems, that require multiple reboots every day. I use my handset heavily every day too and except for a problem with sluggish behavior a couple of weeks ago has not been rebooted since then.

My PC at home has been up and running for over 7 weeks now without a reboot. Occasionally I have to reboot it due to a couple of applications that have memory leaks and no amount of process killing will get them to free that memory but that's an actual problem.

If you have no "problems" rebooting it is a waste of time and doesn't refresh anything.

Upvote 0
So, do you have a specific problem that requires multiple reboots per day? Judging by your comments it would seem that you do. I know of no computers, unless they have grave problems, that require multiple reboots every day. I use my handset heavily every day too and except for a problem with sluggish behavior a couple of weeks ago has not been rebooted since then.

My PC at home has been up and running for over 7 weeks now without a reboot. Occasionally I have to reboot it due to a couple of applications that have memory leaks and no amount of process killing will get them to free that memory but that's an actual problem.

If you have no "problems" rebooting it is a waste of time and doesn't refresh anything.

I think what he means is he reboots it to replace the bottery not because it is causing him problems. He states he uses it quite often and has 3 batteries. I also have a replaceable battery and anytime I'm on the go ill reboot and swap out batteries.

Upvote 0
I think what he means is he reboots it to replace the bottery not because it is causing him problems. He states he uses it quite often and has 3 batteries. I also have a replaceable battery and anytime I'm on the go ill reboot and swap out batteries.

Yeah, that would certainly make sense. I'm not trying to get down on anyone. I'm just stating that rebooting doesn't "fix" anything. But I am aware that application interactions can have a negative impact.

FYI, because I have a cover on my EVO I didn't bother with an extra battery as it's a pita to have to pull that cover off every time. So I picked up the 5400 mah Splash Intense battery pack. It isn't as compact as a battery or as convenient but it will charge my handset probably 3 times before needing a recharge and I can plug it into the mini usb wall charger I have.

Upvote 0
Today has got to be one of the worst in a good while...

I had to power cycle my Evo for the first time in about 3 and a half weeks. T.T
It was running so slow compared to normal! A live wallpaper would bog everything down so much it became unusable! Oh well... maybe this time I can get through a month or more without having to reboot or shut down?

I know the feeling I was trying to go 30 days. I was at 25 days andi it was sluggish but not bad. I went to a football game and burned through most of the batter. I forgot to plug it in I look down at my phone and its off. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones