• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Way Around Unlimited Data?

imdickie

Aug 17, 2010
I have an upgrade available on my and my wife's Dinc and really want to get either the Bionic or Galaxy S2, but it seems neither of these will be available prior to the elimination of the unlimited data package.

So I had a thought, what if I agree to an extended plan now with out the upgrade. Can I cash in the upgrade at a later date to get the phone I want?

My other option is to get the phone my wife wants, the LG Rev, using my upgrade now and agreeing to a 2 year plan grandfathered into the unlimited data package and immediately give the phone to her via an ESN switch and just keep using my Dinc. Then when the Bionic and/or GS2 come out I can use her upgrade and transfer it over to me and agree to a family share plan for my wife and teenage daughter.

I know the second one will work because I've done something similar when I wanted out of my BB Storm 2. For simplicity in explaining to my wife what I am doing the first option is better.

So my question is, can I commit to a plan now and upgrade the phone later?

I have an upgrade available on my and my wife's Dinc and really want to get either the Bionic or Galaxy S2, but it seems neither of these will be available prior to the elimination of the unlimited data package.

So I had a thought, what if I agree to an extended plan now with out the upgrade. Can I cash in the upgrade at a later date to get the phone I want?

My other option is to get the phone my wife wants, the LG Rev, using my upgrade now and agreeing to a 2 year plan grandfathered into the unlimited data package and immediately give the phone to her via an ESN switch and just keep using my Dinc. Then when the Bionic and/or GS2 come out I can use her upgrade and transfer it over to me and agree to a family share plan for my wife and teenage daughter.

I know the second one will work because I've done something similar when I wanted out of my BB Storm 2. For simplicity in explaining to my wife what I am doing the first option is better.

So my question is, can I commit to a plan now and upgrade the phone later?

Now,this is a tricky one. I'm a former employee of Verizon (as of April). Shoot me a PM and i'll give you some advice on ways around this.

I do not wish to share this publicly b/c I do not feel like arguing with my AF peeps about it :)

Upvote 0
Now,this is a tricky one. I'm a former employee of Verizon (as of April). Shoot me a PM and i'll give you some advice on ways around this.

I do not wish to share this publicly b/c I do not feel like arguing with my AF peeps about it :)

Why is that a tricky one? It's an easy no.

Upgrading your phone means getting a new contract and thus conforming to the tiered plans and new contract.

There are no upgrades anymore anyways. Only 2 year contracts. Easy.

Upvote 0
Why is that a tricky one? It's an easy no.

Upgrading your phone means getting a new contract and thus conforming to the tiered plans and new contract.

There are no upgrades anymore anyways. Only 2 year contracts. Easy.

It actually used to be fairly tricky. I spent the last 4 years as a Verizon store manager. We could, without affecting your upgrade eligibility date, add an additional 12 months onto your contract and allow you to keep any and all features as well as give you 500 minutes a month for a saftey net. This would allow you to keep your plan (even if the plan expired later on when you upgraded). I explained this to the OP via PM. Thought maybe you could use a litte clarification as well.

The "tricky" part was only certain regions in Verizon could do this. So this in fact could have helped the OP if everything aligned properly for him.

Upvote 0
imdickie,

I have a similar situation:
http://androidforums.com/verizon/344883-unlimited-lte-war-strategies.html#post2749536

I'm not sure (now, after reading your thread) if I can simply activate a 4G phone on my unlimited 3G plan (without renewing contract) and thus have unlimited 4G. I was told this by a store rep but you know how misinformed some are with respect to such things.

I am 95% sure the GS2 won't have LTE, fyi :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones