• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A2SD--For Multi roms on Ally

I got it to work with clockworkmod. When formatting just choose the format sd option (not the format sd-ext option). Chose 512MB ext partition and 32MB swap. Then reboot into recovery. Format the cache and format the cache-davlik thing (advanced options). Then apply the zip file. I got all the apps installed I had to take off before cause of no space. Life is good.

Upvote 0
Just a heads up if you use both a later model recovery of mine and turbo4 kernel you can partition to ext4 and turbo kernel supports ext4 fs too. You really need a class 6 memory card to get the best results from apps2sd however. Stock kernel only supports ext2 and ext3 & 4 have to be built into recovery and rom kernel. If koush used my kernel for clockwork which I think he did it supports ext3 & 4 too if not you can flash my recovery to partition it then flash back clockwork if you prefer. Check with your rom chef to see if their kernel supports ext 3 and 4 or you can use turbo4 which has it.

Upvote 0
For those wanting to easily switch clockwork to my current recovery I made a flashable zip. http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/146564-ally-recovery-img-here-custom-roms.html and its the clockwork to RA download. Will also update from an older version of mine too.

Is your recovery bigger than clockwork? I have 2 bad sectors in my recovery partition, which are skipped when installing any recovery, but clockwork's goes through fine despite these warning messages and yours says there is not enough room to close the partition.

Upvote 0
I'm running Velocity 0.2 and using the a2sd for velocity (which works amazingly, btw, thanks!). How will my apps be affected if I load Velocity 0.3? If I load drellisdee's latest kernel? I'm beginning to piece together how these things fit, but I am by no means an expert - I'd say I'm just shy of a noob (maybe. hopefully).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Upvote 0
How do i know if a2sd is working?

You can check internal stoage via Settings>SDcard and Phone storage
or
From terminal u can run:
su
#/system/bin/a2sd check

My memory is still going down why is that?

the most common cause of this that the dalvik-cache is not set to the sdcard. To make sure dvalik-cache is going to the sdcard open terminal and type:
su
#ls -l /data
(look for a line that shows dalvik-chace if it does not show:dalvik-chace -> /system/sd/dalvick-chace, then its not going to the sdcard)

Now thanks to Titanium Back up you can do this even easier.:D

Thanks Drzaius68 for Pointing this out First.
http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/212236-great-new-feature-titanium-back-up.html

Reactions: killertonez
Upvote 0
I got it to work with clockworkmod. When formatting just choose the format sd option (not the format sd-ext option). Chose 512MB ext partition and 32MB swap. Then reboot into recovery. Format the cache and format the cache-davlik thing (advanced options). Then apply the zip file. I got all the apps installed I had to take off before cause of no space. Life is good.

This part of this post was not quite clear to me......"When formatting just choose the format sd option (not the format sd-ext option)."

Where is this "option"? (Is it in the Clockwork Recovery section, or within the Clockwork App...since you typed THIS after that part..."Then reboot into recovery"

After those two parts...the rest of the post is straight forward.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Trying to wrap my head around preparing for A2SD here. When you guys mention "Stock VZB" ROM, are you referring to a "stock" ROM version that the Ally would have either from the box or an OTA update? My Ally is stock, and I can't seem to find any reference to "VZ" and B or a numeral in its information utilities. :thinking:

Zoandroid

Check SW Version in "Settings > About Phone"

And in order to flash an the apps2sd kernel you will need to first flash a custom recovery then partion your sdcard, then flash the kernel per instructions above.

Read this if you don't know about recoveriers Android Ally

Always remeber to make a backup before flashing anything.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply! My Ally says VS740ZVC under "Settings > About Phone". I don't see how that compares to the "VZB" I keep seeing in the forum posts.

So in order to move apps to my SD card I "must" install a custom ROM?? I did not think that was the case.

I have read for hours on here tonight and sure found a lot of folks having no end of "can of worms" complications in their attempts to do that. Not sure I want to go down that path at all. Most of the accounts are filled with references to Linux commands. I gave Linux a serious try last year, and after a few weeks came to the conclusion it is not for me. Probably the most unfriendly and counter-intuitive thing I have ever done with computers or electronics. I had flashbacks just reading these forum posts, and it reminded me of long hours of frustration, for sure. :p I followed the advice of a few on here and used Z4Root because it is 'easy'. But now it seems like that first step still requires several more measures just as hard as manually rooting a phone in order to be able to DO anything once it is rooted.

Isn't there a simpler way? I just tried Root Tools from the Forum which in all appearances seemed like manna from heaven, except that it won't run after I installed it. to my rooted Ally.

Zoandroid

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply! My Ally says VS740ZVC under "Settings > About Phone". I don't see how that compares to the "VZB" I keep seeing in the forum posts.

So in order to move apps to my SD card I "must" install a custom ROM?? I did not think that was the case.

I have read for hours on here tonight and sure found a lot of folks having no end of "can of worms" complications in their attempts to do that. Not sure I want to go down that path at all. Most of the accounts are filled with references to Linux commands. I gave Linux a serious try last year, and after a few weeks came to the conclusion it is not for me. Probably the most unfriendly and counter-intuitive thing I have ever done with computers or electronics. I had flashbacks just reading these forum posts, and it reminded me of long hours of frustration, for sure. :p I followed the advice of a few on here and used Z4Root because it is 'easy'. But now it seems like that first step still requires several more measures just as hard as manually rooting a phone in order to be able to DO anything once it is rooted.

Isn't there a simpler way? I just tried Root Tools from the Forum which in all appearances seemed like manna from heaven, except that it won't run after I installed it. to my rooted Ally.

Zoandroid

You do not need a custom rom for apps2sd in this case. I'll talk to the dev tommarow as he comes in IRC and see what he says about flashing the ZVB a2sd on ZVC.

Honeslty i have never heard of root tools nor i do know if its even compbailable with the Ally.

Reactions: Zoandroid
Upvote 0
After the last post I did go to the link you provided and read about recoveries. I admit that nice website, and the tools available there, helped explain that:

A recovery is not the same thing as a ROM (but I am still a bit confused as to just what it IS?) Do I lose all the settings and data currently stored within the phone's memory?

I would not have to flash a ROM, as you pointed out in your reply above.

Your statement showed me what people are referring to as "VZB", when you said I have "VZC". It's the last segment of the software code. So I presume the "C" refers to that last small OTA update they pushed out the day after Thanksgiving?

Root Tools was something I found on the Market on my Ally when I searched for "move apps". It appears to be a very nice compilation of several tools for use on a rooted phone. But if installing A2SD actually requires flashing code into the phone (my understanding from what you said) then I don't see how this app could possibly provide that function. I am wondering if it is actually supposed to simply be a front end for all those tools IF you already have them installed? If so, they are NOT saying that in the advertising. I got a refund because the time it took to install, and discover it did not work, and request the refund all happened within 15 minutes.

So, this is starting to come together in my mind, and perhaps is not as "scary" as it looks to be at first blush. On that recoeries site are listed some rather easy looking options, such as the Windows based tools to flash a recovery onto the phone.

Question - I already have ADB drivers installed, but not via PDANet. I chose to install Easy Tether instead (which works great on the Ally). Would that still meet the requirement of having the ADB drivers mentioned to use the Windows tool to flash the recovery? I also have USB debugging turned on because Easy Tether needs that too.

I presume backing up the whole SD card is a given first step. Is there anything else it would be wise to do before I try the Ally Flasher Tool on that site. Once I run it, is the Ally still going to be fully operational even before I try to run A2SD or take any further steps? I really rely on it for the calendar functions and alarms, and of course it is my phone, too.

I hope you don't mind all these questions, but I like to have a clear notion of what I am getting into before I leap. :D

Thanks!!!

Zoandroid

Upvote 0
After the last post I did go to the link you provided and read about recoveries. I admit that nice website, and the tools available there, helped explain that:

A recovery is not the same thing as a ROM (but I am still a bit confused as to just what it IS?)

I would not have to flash a ROM, as you pointed out in your reply above.

Your statement showed me what people are referring to as "VZB", when you said I have "VZC". It's the last segment of the software code. So I presume the "C" refers to that last small OTA update they pushed out the day after Thanksgiving?

Root Tools was something I found on the Market on my Ally when I searched for "move apps". It appears to be a very nice compilation of several tools for use on a rooted phone. But if installing A2SD actually requires flashing code into the phone (my understanding from what you said) then I don't see how this app could possibly provide that function. I am wondering if it is actually supposed to simply be a front end for all those tools IF you already have them installed? If so, they are NOT saying that in the advertising. I got a refund because the time it took to install, and discover it did not work, and request the refund all happened within 15 minutes.

So, this is starting to come together in my mind, and perhaps is not as "scary" as it looks to be at first blush. On that recoeries site are listed some rather easy looking options, such as the Windows based tools to flash a recovery onto the phone.

Question - I already have ADB drivers installed, but not via PDANet. I chose to install Easy Tether instead (which works great on the Ally). Would that still meet the requirement of having the ADB drivers mentioned to use the Windows tool to flash the recovery? I also have USB debugging turned on because Easy Tether needs that too.

I presume backing up the whole SD card is a given first step. Is there anything else it would be wise to do before I try the Ally Flasher Tool on that site. Once I run it, is the Ally still going to be fully operational even before I try to run A2SD or take any further steps? I really rely on it for the calendar functions and alarms, and of course it is my phone, too.

I hope you don't mind all these questions, but I like to have a clear notion of what I am getting into before I leap. :D

Thanks!!!

Zoandroid

o_O

I'll try answeting hoping i don't miss anything.

Think of a custom recovery like a set of recovery tools for a PC. You can make/restore backups, wipe data/cache/dalvik cache and other things, flash roms and kernels and other stuff.

Yes ZVC (VS740ZVC) was the latest OTA.

Maybe the root tools version of apps2sd is for 2.2 only? I honestly don't know.

If you already have the ADB drivers installed you shouldnt need PDAnet. Only reason we say install PDAnet is to install the ADB drivers.

You backup your sdcard before you go to Partion It. Which you would do in recovery. Afaik calendar and alram stuff aren't saved to the sdcard but i could be wrong. So for now do not worry about backing up your sdcard until you have a custom recovery flashed and would flash the a2sd kernel.

Feel fee to come to IRC if you have even more questions. (Info in my sig)

Reactions: Zoandroid
Upvote 0
I see. Well it really isn't all that different from rebuilding a PC then, is it? just different terminology not yet familiar to me. I guess that's why it seemed such a large obstacle in my path.

I look forward to hearing from you on whether that A2SD version for VZB can work in VZC. Once I get past that I can start over and hopefully get things completed.

As it turns out, I had chosen the "temporary" root in Z4Root, so this morning's daily power down and restart should have undone that. But what happens if you try to run that Windows routine for root & recovery (Ally RR I think it was called on the page you linked above) if the phone is already rooted? Is that OK to do? I am guessing that what really happens when you use Z4root is that some code gets rearranged so as to allow an inroad to the system files which by default would be prevented. If so it seems to me overlaying that process a second time would be safe and still effective?

Thanks!

Zoandroid

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones