• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AC Ryan VEOLO

Pokka

Lurker
Nov 15, 2011
recently bought a new AC Ryan product, VEOLO and wants to share some experience with you guys...

i must say the 3in1 remote is AWESOME!! :D to top the cherry on the cake, it supports full DTS/DD 5.1 and with gigabit & so far, i hven't found any models that does them. part of the reason why i went with this product since i wanted a device to also playback my existing contents via network.

the remote in Full RF and comes with motion sensor and qwerty kb on the back of the remote unit. on top, it has basic remote control function such as vol +/-, home, back, enter. playing android games seems easier with this 3in1 remote using the motion sensor. +rep for AC Ryan.

not a fan of connecting usb wireless kb/tp combo to the unit, preferred a all in one remote due to limited space in my room. at first i wasn't used to it but the controls are simple that my family members could use the unit after 5 minutes.

right now, i found some app from 3rd party marketplace which provide more streaming contents and it works out of the box after installing them.

not bad for AC Ryan for their first android product.

ACRyan also have an android device? Mmm hope it does works well as my cheaper android player is jst ok but cannot enjoy fully as i cannot play sorround sound. Any more specs or details bout it?

yes bro, they do and it was launched in Oct according to one of staff at the store. i first saw it at a local IT superstore but then it was one of the two products that are using android, so i hesitated at first.. :thinking:

went back home to research more on them. went back a few days later and was drawn to the live demo unit comparing both products when i was there, decided to take the plunge and went for AC Ryan instead.

till date, never looked back... :D

you can find the details on >>Spec<<

Upvote 0
Last night I saw the official video showing full screen capture of this box in Youtube, Android functions seem to work very well. Though it doesn't come with official Android Market, it has some kind of Market having both free and paid apps.

The price seems rather high than what I would have expected.

watch

Upvote 0
The Veolo is one of the better looking units compared to the others on the market, they made an effort at least towards the media player functions.

I wonder does it run the same Amlogic 8726 chipset as the Geniatech boxes, maybe you could run an Android system info app and let us know. Sometimes it shows up as M3 box in sys info.

Upvote 0
Saw their specs provided by pokka and very interesting that they seem to hav good advantages over all the android tv boxes including mine. Hmmm can i just purchase the remote? Haha as i saw the youtube video too, remote works great but i dnt know if it is going to work with my player. Anyway it is worth to buy based on the thing it cn do.

Upvote 0
ok i'm glad this is cortex A9 compared to another brand i see in this forum is A8 although i don't know what is the diff, just suppose this is better

not many people with the veolo it seems, is this new or i've gotten a not so popular model? got this with recommendation from a friend but so far i think it works very good, well just need a little time to tame the cursor on screen!

another question after looking around the forum, is veolo the same chip as geniatech Amilogic 8726 chipset with a 1GHz Cortex A9 CPU and Mali400 GPU
http://androidforums.com/3218510-post14.html

or the r-box Rockchip RK2918 , up to 1.2GHz ARM Cortex A8
http://androidforums.com/3201158-post2.html

i don't see the info anywhere, although i don't understand but just curious

Upvote 0
bthoven, yes, it comes without the official marketplace from Google. and they are using a 3rd party marketplace named, Androidpit. i was told that it's a licensing issue for android players except tablets,phones,etc. hopefully they could include Google marketplace in future updates. ::crossing fingers on this::

so far so good, most apps downloaded from Androidpit are working properly except one or two which is meant in portrait instead of landscape. had to avoid those apps.

sezmo77, thanks for the box detection apk.

ran it earlier on, and the report id is 557325 or >>Here<<

i can't remember clearly, but the guy from the store told me that it was using ARM from Huawei or Hisilicon.

Upvote 0
seems like this one, hisilicon hi3716c
http://www.hisilicon.com/engdownload/digital/20110616/Hi3716C DataBrief.rar
at the bottom it states Manufacture Center of Huawei Electrical, if this is the same huawei that produces the mediapad then i think i got the right choice

so how is this compared to the others? from specs i don't know but from my own experience i feel the veolo interface is smooth and fast in navigation. too bad they have androidpit for don't know what reason instead of the android marketplace by google. but apps can be easily found so i'm not complaining on that. but agree that veolo should include it

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi,
gone to a exhibition recently and was introduced the idea of an internet TV box (my understanding is that with this box you can use your TV screen as a computer)

was also shown a product called RCA Wepad 6, a mainland Chinese product.

My questions:
(1) I use a writing pad and software installed in my current desktop to write simplified chinese characters. Can I also installed this Chinese software into an internet TV box? (and write Chinese words)

(2) I also watch free streaming programs offered by some mainland Chinese websites. e.g. PP steam, PPTV. If I buy Ryan's VEOLO (a western brand, can I watch PP stream offered by mainland Chinese websites?)

(3) if I can do the above tasks with both brands. which box is a better buy? A C Ryan (a 'western' brand) or RCA (a Chinese brand)

Upvote 0
Hi jchang,

to your questions:

1. If that Software has an Android app you might be able to. However you will not be able to connect a tablet to the unit because it doesn't have the built-in drivers. I think no Android does at this point.

2. you should be able to do that. Even though AC Ryan is a western brand it doesn't really matter. It depends in which country you are and what IP you use. As for the PP streams there's some apps you can use such as PPLive, ez stream, letv and the likes. They can be installed on the veolo for example and according to some users who already use this they also work.

3. of course i cannot tell you which to buy. That's you decision in the end but you can just compare the specs and will see already that it's 2 different chipsets in these units and the RCA for example has only 100mbit vs. 1000mbit in the veolo.

Hope this helps a bit.

cheers,

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

John

Hi jchang,

to your questions:

1. If that Software has an Android app you might be able to. However you will not be able to connect a tablet to the unit because it doesn't have the built-in drivers. I think no Android does at this point.

2. you should be able to do that. Even though AC Ryan is a western brand it doesn't really matter. It depends in which country you are and what IP you use. As for the PP streams there's some apps you can use such as PPLive, ez stream, letv and the likes. They can be installed on the veolo for example and according to some users who already use this they also work.

3. of course i cannot tell you which to buy. That's you decision in the end but you can just compare the specs and will see already that it's 2 different chipsets in these units and the RCA for example has only 100mbit vs. 1000mbit in the veolo.

Hope this helps a bit.

cheers,

Upvote 0
there is a new firmware posted on acryan support, Support :: AC Ryan | Defining Digital Entertainment

installed it and saw it now comes with the marketplace, so this comes handy for those who don't torrent or find apps. i'm impressed with this firmware, the flash videos seem to have improved greatly, it looks much smoother now at least for me

look at their changelog, http://www.acryan.com/downloads/VE91200/Readme_version.1.0.0.849.VEOLO.pdf

those in red are cool for me

Version.1.0.0.849.VEOLO

1. Fix device keyboard "Auto-cap" to operate correctly according to application environment
2. Fix issue for cut and paste files
3. Fix certain video playback unable to display in full screen
4. Fix unable to mount SAMBA folder when the server response is slow
5. Fix unable to start DHCP process when the Ethernet cable is unplugged and then re-plugged
6. Fix certain videos unable to pause
7. Fix subtitle size changes when playing back various videos with different resolution
8. Fix unplugging the default storage will cause a system reboot
9. Fix unable to sort by Name/Size/Time modified in File Manager when certain menu language is used
10. Fix SAMBA server may disconnect when large files are copied over to a FAT32 formatted storage
11. Fix storage locations correctly displayed as NAND, SDCard and USB when viewed from a SAMBA client
12. Add Android Marketplace application
13. Add support for retaining user data and applications during firmware update
14. Add support for HTML5 video tags (MPEG-4, H.264, Ogg Theora)
15. Add support for HTML5 audio tags (PCM, MP3, Ogg Vorbis)
16. Add support for German QWERTZ keyboard
17. Add new desktop wallpapers
18. Add "Input method and keyboard" during initial setup process
19. Add caption in File Manager for the 3 function buttons to switch layout/media filter/sort view
20. Add blinking effect on the front panel LED when firmware update is in progress
21. Add Online upgrade feature for new firmware releases
22. Improve IDX/SUB subtitle display
23. Improve PGS subtitle display
24. Improve various OSD menu language errors
25. Improve PNG format decoding
26. Improve SAMBA server data transfer speed
27. Improve problem of Flash player video frame that remains fixed in position when scrolling up/down or
when exiting a playback frame
28. General improvement to Flash player performance
29. General improvement to video and image decoding
30. General improvement to system stability, fix various system crash
31. Default "Keep aspect ratio" to Letterbox

thumbs up acryan!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones