• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

accessories for sensation 4g

gta1216

Aug 23, 2011
just ordered 2 sensation 4g and will receive them tomorrow.

i know the phones comes with an usb cable and wall adapter. i assume the cable is for data and charging.

i will need extra usb cables, wall adapter, and car adapter. anyone knows if there are any specific type of usb cable, wall adapter, and car adapter i need? i bought the griffin powerjolt dual universal micro, but did not buy additional cables nor wall adapter yet. for data transfer, i'm quite sure any usb cable would work. but what about for charging via pc, wall, and car? some said i need specific since there will be power going thru the cable, others said any usb cable works even tho it will be connected to a pc, wall or car adapter for charging. i read that some cable is able to transfer data but not charge, and vice versa. i mainly need the cables for charging.

You should purchase original HTC wall charger and orignal HTC car charger (HTC CC C200).
The wall charger comes with a separate standard USB cable for data and for charging.
The car charger comes with a separate charging-only cable.

For additionally USB cable for data and charging you could purchase non-HTC cable, but not low-price off eBay.

Harry

Upvote 0
when you suggested to purchase the original htc wall and car chargers, is it bc of the adapter or the cables? what happens if i use the griffin car adapter? i need a car adapter soon. not sure how long it'll take to order from htc.

what about aftermarket usb cables? are they ok with connecting to pc (charge/data), htc wall/car adapter? someone i know uses samsung, but he said blackberry cable works even better than his samsung one. what are good brands of cable?

Upvote 0
It is because of the adapters.
Only with the HTC adapters you can be sure your phone will be charged with double (USB standard) current.
With this double current you phone will be charged two times faster.

And for charging in the car this double current is very important:
With a navigation app running, only with this double current there is enought current to charge AND to supply your phone.

For the time before until you will get the HTC charger you can use the Griffin with no harm.
You will see the Griffin will charge enought until you start a navigation app.

This charging status you can see on your phone's settings.
> Settings > About phone > Battery status:
- "Charging (AC)": This is double (USB standard) current (up to 1000mA), charging with a HTC wall or car adapter.
- "Charging (USB)": This is standard USB current (up to 500mA), charging with a USB cable on a PC's USB port (... or with a generic charger).

I am not saying, generic charger generally will not charging "AC". But you will not know it before you bought it and tried it ;)

About cables:
I think it would make no difference to use Blackberry, Samsung or HTC (I like Nokia's) ;)
EDIT: Only this separate cable of the HTC car charger adapter is different: It is a pure charging cable. With this cable every generic adapter is able charge "AC" (if the adapter has an USB output with 1A or more).

Harry

Upvote 0
I use the $0.96 micro usb cables from monoprice and they work great. Just be sure to get the ones with the Ferrite Core. I've had really good luck with them for both my old Palm Pre and my Sensation.

I use them in the car plugged in to a USB -cigarette lighter adapter, I use them plugged in to my laptop at work and my desktop at home, and plugged in to a wall power adapter at home. I find no difference with them and the "official HTC" one that came with the phone.

Upvote 0
so basically the diff btn a htc adapter (wall, car) and aftermarket brand is standard vs double current charging for 2x faster charging times? i guess i can live with a griffin for now until i get the htc one. problem is, htc doesn't have a double usb adapter.

i can use htc-branded or other brand (branded or generic) cable with htc adapter (wall, car), aftermarket adapter (wall, car), pc right? how would i know if the cable is suitable for data only or charging as well? i mean, it sounds scarry to plug a usb cable to an adapter that has direct link to a power source. i read somewhere that the cable this person bought, the pins are shorter or something like that. what is ferrite core? what is the benefit with it?

what is a good brand for screen protectors? does the sensation and sensation 4g have identical screen size and shape? it seems rather hard to find screen protector for the sensation, let alone the 4g version.

Upvote 0
ok, i'm having a hard time searching for the car adapter from htc's website.

if i googled the model number cc c200, i can see it listed on htc's site. if i select country: usa, then to accessories, this item is not available from their online store. the usa online store only have the dual usb car charger adapter. how do i know if this dual charger is standard current or double current?

i bought 2 aftermarket micro usb cable (package said for charging and data). one will be used to connect to the wall adapter that came with the phone. the other is for connecting to the pc usb port. both of these cable is for charging. any problem?

still gotta find the car adapter that comes with the cable. htc's site shows many micro usb cable, which all says for data syncing, but no mentioning for charging.

any inputs?

Upvote 0
You dont need to buy htc brand your phone will charge the same with any knock off brand. Only difference in them is usually with the knock off brand you get a faster data transfer rate. The OEM stuff looks nice but its nothing special and usually about 3 times as much as genuine.

oem or knock off brand gets faster transfer speed?

i'm not concerned for the looks. i just want to make sure i get enough power if i am going to charge the phone in the car and use the navi. i doubt i would need to use the navi unless its very accurate (my tomtom is not very accurate) or if i'm riding in someone's car and needed a navi.

also, wanted to make sure that any (oem or aftermarket) micro usb cable marked for data and charging can be used with the wall and car charger adapter (oem or aftermarket).

if in fact the htc car adapter would not charge twice as fast or provide more power at once, then there's no point in spending $40 for a dual usb charger when i got the griffin dual car charger for $20. i didn't open the griffin one yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones