• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Activation charge for not using their Free phones?

Hello guys,

I am thinking about bringing 2 lines to Metro from AT&T and getting their promo that allows you to get 2 phones for free for each line (LG K7) and their $60 for 2 lines and 6gb each.

I went to the corporate store in my area and when I mentioned that I currently had 2 LG G3 from At&t that were unlocked and that I might put the Metro PCS sim cards in them if I didn't like the LG K7 they were giving me for free, the guy stated that I had to keep the LG K7 phones active (use them) for at least 91 days or I would be charged when I called them to activate the G3s. I can't remember if he told me I would lose the promotional credit (worth $50) for each phone or if I was going to be charged an activation fee since I got free phones from them, but I started using my own device instead.

After I left the store, I called several dealers around (since I can't get the corporate store number) to ask about this and I received different information from each dealer I talked to. On stated I will get charged a $40 dollar activation fee per phone if I didn't use the free ones, other stated $15, another stated I only have to used the free phones for a little over a week and then I can activate my G3 without charge.

I also called metro customer service, but their inept reps got me nowhere near a straight answer.

They suggested I just activate the 2 lines with my own phones, but If they offer 2 free phones for porting lines in, then why would I not take the phones even if they are going to be backups for when the G3s malfunction.

Thoughts?

Hello guys,

I am thinking about bringing 2 lines to Metro from AT&T and getting their promo that allows you to get 2 phones for free for each line (LG K7) and their $60 for 2 lines and 6gb each.

I went to the corporate store in my area and when I mentioned that I currently had 2 LG G3 from At&t that were unlocked and that I might put the Metro PCS sim cards in them if I didn't like the LG K7 they were giving me for free, the guy stated that I had to keep the LG K7 phones active (use them) for at least 91 days or I would be charged when I called them to activate the G3s. I can't remember if he told me I would lose the promotional credit (worth $50) for each phone or if I was going to be charged an activation fee since I got free phones from them, but I started using my own device instead.

After I left the store, I called several dealers around (since I can't get the corporate store number) to ask about this and I received different information from each dealer I talked to. On stated I will get charged a $40 dollar activation fee per phone if I didn't use the free ones, other stated $15, another stated I only have to used the free phones for a little over a week and then I can activate my G3 without charge.

I also called metro customer service, but their inept reps got me nowhere near a straight answer.

They suggested I just activate the 2 lines with my own phones, but If they offer 2 free phones for porting lines in, then why would I not take the phones even if they are going to be backups for when the G3s malfunction.

Thoughts?
You get charged nothing. You just call to activate the other phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones