1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Advice switching from Apex...to another ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KingdomMan3, Nov 16, 2010.

1. KingdomMan3

KingdomMan3 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    KY
    I have been using Apex for a couple of weeks and although I love the ROM the stability has not been pleasant. Turning the Apex Overclock off reduced my reboots from 10-15 a day to 2-3, but my phone has since been extremely sluggish. I need some advice on if I should change to rubiX or Fission, or any other ROM. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. C0n57an71n3

C0n57an71n3 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2010
    I switched from ApeX to Fission and I STILL get reboots. Probably 1-2 a day, ALWAYS when I'm sliding to unlock.

Other than that, there's not a huge difference between them. Fission is absolutely no blur, and I enjoy it, but I still have ApeX backed up.

3. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    student
    Planet Earth
    Are you running 2.1 and did you do a clean install? I'm running fission 2.1 and have yet to have a reboot :) I wouldn't run a ROM that reboots that many times a day. Not at all.
    To OP: I would definitely try out fission. It has been awesome for me.

4. I was having similar reboot issues with Apex until I installed Jrummyr16's overclock app. Ever since then I have mabye 1 every other day and its always while my phone is sitting idle (I had the same issue with stock Froyo). I have heard some phones dont like the stock overclock with Apex due to the fack there is no voltage increase. Do yourself a favor and try out the overclock app before you switch rom's. I'm runnin Apex with the OC app on LV @ 1.3 and its smooth/stable and super fast.

5. KingdomMan3

Dec 14, 2009
    KY
    Sorry forgot to mention that I have also tried that app due to this post here. That brought me down to the number of reboots I am now. It is more stable but I have been unable to find the right overclocking voltage/level that is still stable. In fact after going back to no overclocking I am still getting reboots and it is so sluggish it is barely usable.

BTW thanks for the input guys.

6. Mojorisen

Mojorisen Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    The random rebooting issue is something that is within Froyo, not these ROMs. While rare for me, I was having them on stock Froyo, as well as with my current Apex ROM.

7. KingdomMan3

Dec 14, 2009
    KY
    So, Apex is Froyo based correct? What about Fission and rubiX. I never had the stock OTA, but the leaked and I only had approx 1 reboot a week. Which is acceptable. More acceptable than 3 a day :)

8. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    I ran Apex for quite while and I never had a reboot, I'm now on Fission and things have been fine for 2 days. I have a 2.2 rooted backup (via SBF) with nothing extra installed (except for bootstrap) or removed that I use as a base to install ROMs.

9. wheelna

wheelna Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Tranquility 3.0

10. droidfan1

droidfan1 Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    fission = no reboots, apex = 15 reboots / day

11. C0n57an71n3

C0n57an71n3 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2010
    I am running 2.1 and I did a clean install. I wiped everything, then I used Titanium to get my apps back. I'm hoping 2.2.1 fixes whatever it is. I literally only reboot when I slide to unlock.

Maybe fixing permissions through ROM Manager would help?

12. hyperlite

hyperlite Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    There is also a permissions fix function in jrummy's now.

Apex gets a bit of a bad rap because of the default OC settings. My phone has a lot of headroom, so they didn't bother me, but most people's reboot problems are largely attributed to this...and it's very easy to undo.

I love Apex. That said, if fission gets HDMI support, i'll gladly give it a shot. I just need HDMI.

Airmaxx, that's a good idea. I haven't needed to SBF yet, but i'll be sure to remember to do that when the time comes.

You guys that SBF a lot...are you just using the full system 2.3.15 SBF from rootwikiz?

13. mikeydooodie

mikeydooodie Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2010
    bronx ny
    im getting no reboots unless i start messing with the overclock app and push it to the limit lol guess im lucky?