• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help After update Google Maps no longer says street names

After I updated my Google Maps last week the voice guidance no longer will speak the street/exit names. It now just says generic directions as in "turn left in 300 feet" or "Take exit on the right".

I am used to hearing the names of the streets or exit numbers when driving as it is very useful as I don't want to take my eyes off the road.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does this have anything to do with the update or is it my TTS settings?

Thanks in advance.

It requires TTS, and for the language to be set to US English. That being said, there are numerous reports of this happening. In my case, I had uninstalled TTS unaware of the dependency and have not been able to get it working again. Recommended methods include clearing the app data for TTS and maps, clearing the system cache (from recovery menu), reinstalling one or both, or at least reupdating. Reports of effectiveness are mixed. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You could try clearing the dalvik cache too. Since nothing seems to be consistently correcting the issue, I'm guessing there's a bug involved. Try removing the updates and see if it works again if the other fixes fail.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies bg4m3r

It is strange because I downloaded Waze a few days ago and it works well and speaks the street names, but I want to get rid of it as I find Waze to be a big battery vampire. Even when not it use, Waze seems to drain my battery.

I guess the problem with with my Google Maps as it still (I test it every few days to see if it corrects itself) still will not speak the street names.

I really don't want to reflash my phone and put all my apps and settings back to how I have them now, but if that is the only way to fix Google Maps then I am willing to try a reflash.

I may just wait until Google Maps does another update to the application and see if that works to correct my problem.

I don't know why Waze speaks the street names, but Google Maps won't anymore. That tells me that it is not my TTS settings, but a unique problem with some coding in Google Maps.

Upvote 0
" This may be a stupid question, but where are my TTS settings on my LG Volt? I have been looking and even did a Google search, but I can't find where they are in my settings menu."

Settings>Accessibilities>Text to speech output

Thank you and I think I may have found my problem.

When I go into the Text-to-speech output menu everything on the screen is greyed out except the Default language status and that just says "Checking..." and I have keep the screen on for an hour and it will never stop "Checking..."

Does anyone have any idea how to get my Default language status to stop checking and recognize something?

Upvote 0
Thank you and I think I may have found my problem.

When I go into the Text-to-speech output menu everything on the screen is greyed out except the Default language status and that just says "Checking..." and I have keep the screen on for an hour and it will never stop "Checking..."

Does anyone have any idea how to get my Default language status to stop checking and recognize something?

This page http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2755684 mentions the same issue and they were able to fix it just by tapping what was greyed out

Upvote 0
I found a solution just by playing around. Here's what worked for me.

I went into my Text-to-Speech and Disabled it. Then all I had to do was go into Google Play and "Enable" it again and now my Google Maps says the street names.

A simple "Disable" and "Enable" worked for me. I hope it works for others who have this problems.

Thanks to everybody who has been helping me all this time trying to solve my issue. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Hey all, sorry to bump old thread just want to put this here for anyone else still troubled by this:

http://androidforums.com/threads/google-navigation-doesnt-say-street-names.700269/#post-6891363

My solution was to reinstall maps and TTS, then set my SYSTEM language (different to the TTSt languag) to English (United States)

My TTS language is still set to UK Male, seems the trick was my phones system language (which *had* been set to English Australia)

Hope this helps you all!

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
Hey all, sorry to bump old thread just want to put this here for anyone else still troubled by this:

http://androidforums.com/threads/google-navigation-doesnt-say-street-names.700269/#post-6891363

My solution was to reinstall maps and TTS, then set my SYSTEM language (different to the TTSt languag) to English (United States)

My TTS language is still set to UK Male, seems the trick was my phones system language (which *had* been set to English Australia)

Hope this helps you all!

Thanks, worked for me perfectly. As an experiment, I changed the system language back to English (Australia) which is what I had originally, to see if it worked and it broke it again, even after then returning it to English (United States). I had to uninstall both Maps and TTS and then reinstall them both to get it to work again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones