• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AK Notepad Shutting Down: Replacements?

larrytxeast

Nov 3, 2011
I'm an avid note-taker and I've used AK Notepad for sometime. It does the basics which I need: showing entries in a list vs as a "grid," (what's with the trend towards a grid or "tiles" view of things, I don't care for it) easy copy-paste abilities & most of all it backs up to the cloud so you don't lose notes & my tablet will have the same notes as the phone.

Well at the end of August they are shutting down. You could still install the app in the future (provided you save the .apk file) but there will be no cloud-backing up ability, which would be a huge deal for me.

What are some good replacement apps for AK Notepad as a result?

LRH

(chanchan05) Thank you, FINALLY, a reply.

Evernote doesn't work because you can't view notes offline, which is one the main reasons I use notes vs just emailing things to myself. I appreciate how AK Notepad BACKED UP and SYNCED to the cloud, but you still could view your notes offline.

I tried Springpad, but it won't import my AK Notepad data. Microsoft One doesn't let you use the physical keyboard, which is huge--I use the arrow keys all the time to select the correct text in a note for copy-paste.

I need the app to:

*Import my AK Notepad data so I don't have to recreate it
*Back up to the cloud
*No ads, I repeat, NO ADS
*View the notes as a list, NOT as "tiles" or "thumbnails" etc
*Have full-time offline access

LRH

Upvote 0
I SORT OF answered my own question.

I installed "Color Notes" (which I have heard of before) and in the list of apps in the play store you also see an app called "Catch to Color Note," how appropriately titled. Without having to first create a Color Notes account, I installed the Catch to Color Note app and did as it said (it fires up the phone browser--I used Opera Mini--where you log-in to your Catch account & you export as .csv) and the notes came right in, even sorted as they were in AK Notepad (most recently modified shown first).

The problem--exporting in a "recoverable" format in the event Color Notes goes the way of AK Notepad. At least the notes in AK Notepad were able to be exported as .csv files which were easily read in Excel (and easily came on over into ColorNote). ColorNote exports as encrypted .dat files & I can't see any way to open those and be able to access the contents. I don't want my notes permanently "locked in" to ColorNotes, again, if they go south, then my notes go south.

LRH

Upvote 0
Actually they're killing Catch.com in a few weeks so sync will stop. Try Google Keep. I think you can view offline notes with it.

As for a reply, well this is a forum, and an international one at that. That means the 4hr wait after your post is actually a quick one (unless you time it on an active hour). Normally you can post here and wait at least half a day to get replies.

Upvote 0
(CrashDamage) Google Keep doesn't have a way of importing my old AK Notepad notes in.

I need for the app to have import-export AND have import-export be in a non "propreitary" format (like CSV) AND have it back up to the cloud AND have list view AND be accessible offline AND be accessible from a web browser.

Evernote--not accessible off-line (why do so many people love this app when you can't access notes offline, that is beyond ridiculous)
Keep--no import/export at all, I'll be copying-pasting-sending nearly 400 notes (!)
Springpad--I forget what it's missing, I think import-export
Color Note--no PC access, no export, BUT a "Catch to ColorNote" app did import my AK Notepad (saves as a CSV) and it backs up to the cloud & they're accessible offline. It would be the winner if it backed up locally to CSV vs an encrypted .dat (If there is an app that adds that ability, just as the "Catch to ColorNote" app gave importing ability to ColorNotes which otherwise lacks that, I'd be content.)

Why did AK Notepad (Catch) have to shut down? They had all of that which I'm looking for. I've been searching to the ends of the earth but can't find what I'm looking for. It makes me want to just keep using them & ditch cloud-based backup and do my own SD card backups and hope I don't lose my phone and that the most recent SD backup is good enough.

Such a freaking PAIN, I have spent hours and I do mean HOURS on this, STILL with no resolution.

Upvote 0
I would go with Google Keep as well, but since that suggestion was already used, I'll make another...

If you're rooted you could continue using AK Notepad and use the paid version of Helium to sync the data between multiple devices. Unrooted would also work in theory, but any time you reboot your unrooted device you have to re-enable Helium, which requires a connection to a desktop.

My first choice would still be Google Keep.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones