• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alcatel Pop Astro Removed root, Play Store won't ever open again

I'm borrowing a phone for WiFi and stuff and I saw a lot of the apps in the Play Store you need root for so I went ahead and rooted it. Used KingoRoot, the directions on how to root for that phone are completely correct it just takes a few tries, I don't know how I finally got it. I was looking up some different things you should do with root and watched this
YouTube video. I only have my phone and a library computer which does not recognize usb (ever). He said to install Freedom in that video and I didn't know what it was, it looked cool. This seems like a problem a lot of people have had on the internet with Freedom.apk making Play Store not open. I didn't know what SuperUser was so I removed root right after I uninstalled Freedom.apk because I recognized what I was doing. SuperUser popped up and I just wanted my phone back so I went to remove root. Now the hosts files need to be changed. Please help. No root.

I'm borrowing a phone for WiFi and stuff and I saw a lot of the apps in the Play Store you need root for so I went ahead and rooted it. Used KingoRoot, the directions on how to root for that phone are completely correct it just takes a few tries, I don't know how I finally got it. I was looking up some different things you should do with root and watched this
YouTube video. I only have my phone and a library computer which does not recognize usb (ever). He said to install Freedom in that video and I didn't know what it was, it looked cool. This seems like a problem a lot of people have had on the internet with Freedom.apk making Play Store not open. I didn't know what SuperUser was so I removed root right after I uninstalled Freedom.apk because I recognized what I was doing. SuperUser popped up and I just wanted my phone back so I went to remove root. Now the hosts files need to be changed. Please help. No root.

I rooted my Alcatel Fierce 4 and had that problem but it really wasn't a big deal because it wasn't my primary phone I use everyday. But I just logged back into my phone with my Google account and went to Google Play Store in the phone settings and uninstall that update then reinstall Google Play Store because it started working again and it was an update available.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Removing superuser means you can't grant root privileges to user apps any more. It might have been better to try to sort your problem out before removing that, since removing it limits what you can do.

Can you find the offical firmware for this phone and reflash it? That will remove root, but also undo any other changes Kingo might have made to the system (these "rooting apps" don't always do a very clean job).

The "Freedom" app's purpose is piracy, so had you been asking for help to make it work the forum rules would forbid us from helping (but getting rid of it is a safe topic ;)).

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones