• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help All the problems after Milestone Froyo Update

nilay9999

Feb 22, 2011
Mumbai
Hey all, I bought my Milestone in India but for whatever reason had the European firmware. When Froyo (FINALLY) came out I was pretty ecstatic.
The update took ages due to both my slow internet at the time, and the fact that Motorola's update software just does not resume the download.

Anyway, got everything done. But Froyo on the Milestone was lagging a Helluvalot. Androot and Milestone overclock seemed to make it hang even more. So anyway, I did a factory reset, wiped my mem card etc. it started working better. But now these are the biggest problems im facing and I would be eternally grateful if someone could help me with them!

1) The Milestone reboots itself randomly. Not horribly often, sometimes more often than not, but the fact that it does so even after a factory reset seems unacceptable!

2) Androot and Overclock! - The superuser permissions within Androot that installs force closes on Froyo. Then why I try and update the Superuser via the market, it makes 2 copies, still lags, then uninstalling gets even more dicey.
Milestone overclock was a Brilliant and very easy to use (unlike Droid overclock etc) but even though the app's update says it supports froyo it seems to make the phone a lot SLOWER!
Is it actually because of the seemingly incompatible Superusers apps rather the overclock app?? What can I do!!

3) The phone seems just generally slower. When I play a game, parts where the game work fine actually seem smoother than it did on 2.1, as promised. But just the phone itself seems to be fairly laggy!

4) My homescreen keeps refereshing (ie. takes really long when i go back to home from somewhere). Even launcherpro seems far slower on Froyo than before so now I'm back to the stock launcher! This is REALLY annoying!!
sad.gif

2.1 almost gave me no problems except for the few I had in the beginning that the guys at Motorola solved since it was within warranty.

But I'm hoping I can find some better answers here!

Wow. I have had none of the issues you are having. Not a random reboot since the update and once i figured out a few home screen settings my phone has been working great. I did a factory reset and cache wipe from the recovery menu after the update and that helped quite a bit.

My biggest issue was the lag of going back to te home screen from an app, but i fixed that with launcher pro and some cache settings within it. I get the odd lag every once and a while but no where near as bad as before i figured out the proper launcher pro settings.

Upvote 0
Wow, that was quick :) Thanks!

I just came back here to quickly update my post anyway, yes my home screen refreshing was also a HUGE pain. Still happens to me.
Whats worse is my launcherpro seemed to be lagging as well on froyo!! Hence I uninstalled it for now.

I also tried a whole bunch of settings for launcherpro but to no avail! Can you help me with your settings? Also, what version of launcherpro are you using?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I am using the free launcherpro. When you hit your menu button, touch on preferences, then go into advanced settings, then memory usage. In here what i did was uncheck the clear cache when opening a seperate app option so launcherpro keeps that info instead of dumping it and it made for a much quicker transition from app to home screen as launcherpro didn't have to keep building a new cache everytime you exited out of an app.

Upvote 0
... Sorry that I can't really help you with any of your issues. I did want to confirm that the update seems to be working pretty well for me as well, and that Milestone Overclock is working as advertised. I don't know why, but just reading comments here and elsewhere that the Telus update maybe went a little smoother than the Euro update. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
Since it seemed to be what everyone was saying, I booted into recovery mode and did a Dalvik cache clear.
It does seem to be working considerably smoother now, and it hasnt been long but no random restarts yet.
It turns out there was a launcher pro update as well, so i got that. Its working a lot smoother than the stock home, but it Also restarts sometimes like before. Still, it's better than before.

How did you root to get overclock working? The long nandroid backup way, or the Universal androot way?
Because from what I can tell, even the newest beta version of universal androot only claims milestone 2.1 in their list of compatible devices.
I guess I'll just have to wait for the next release of Androot. It was probably not milestone overclock's problem, it was probably the incompatible Superuser's permission app anyway.

Will keep you guys posted as well, thanks for your opinions!

Upvote 0
I have Telus Milestone and the upgrade kicked out just fine and smoother! I did it 3 days ago.
I haven't had any reboot so far. It's as fast as the Eclair. IMO. Or you can say it's slow as the Eclair. lol! Kidding.

Milestone is a great phone. I do not regret. I'm just waiting for the Droid/Milestone 3.

This will be my next phone.

EDIT: I've never rooted my Milestone. No overclock at all...

Upvote 0
No, it does root it, even on my device. The process happens fine. But after rooted it lags too much, and superuser permissions force closes.
And the list of devices specifically says 2.1 milestone on multiple sites.
Universal Androot - CyanogenMod Wiki

Also, what in the world is the official universal androot website? There doesn't seem to be one. And it isn't even available on the market on my phone!
(Hence its probably not supposed to work on milestone 2.2)

You got lucky =)

Upvote 0
Yeah that seems slightly odd no? It doesn't seem to show a fair amount of apps. Unless 2.2 is using an entire different management system :-S
But also there are a Lot of ignore rules that im pretty sure wasnt there with the older advance task killers. Check out the rules, the apps you want to close might be 'ignored'!
Cheers!

Upvote 0
No it isn't necessary. I didn't unroot mine, in fact I didnt even think twice, if the software begins to update its mean you should be good to go. If there were to be a problem it would tell you so before beginning the update process!
There hasn't been an OTA update yet, for the eur milestone at least, but I'm pretty sure they did.
:)

Upvote 0
Okay one more question, you guys should know this one.
The milestone's wifi policy. Firstly, I have a limited 2G network since I have wifi at home and 2Gs good enough for chatting and occasional browsing on the go.
But, the policy shuts of wifi after a certain point or when screen is off. Now, if I set to never my battery will die sooner than ever. (I'm guessing?)
So ive set it to never when plugged in. Which means it Does go off after sometime when not charging. But not what happens to my chat / email / everything else that uses the internet!!??
Does it come back on every 15 mins or something to sync / receive updates? Or at any point until screen is turned on!!?? Cause if not thats ridiculous Im just not getting notified when the screen is off ever then!!

This is a quote from another forum -
"ah battery life is destroyed if you use WiFi sleep policy. Set it to never for best battery life. It's counter intuitive.

But to answer your question, I think it takes closer to half hour for sleep policy to kick in. You would notice WiFi off if you woke up in the morning etc or after long periods like hours of inactivity."

Anyone confirm this!?!??!

And also does leave the wifi on when Not connected to a network significantly reduce the battery life?? I mean its only scanning, not d/l / u/l so it shouldnt make much difference right?

Upvote 0
Microsoft UK executive said today, Microsoft is not ready to join the tablet PC market which is currently in full swing. In fact, Microsoft is the first manufacturers introducing modern “Tablet PC” concept on mobile devices. Windows XP has a standalone version of Tablet PC decade ago, but because it is too far ahead, there was no vendor responsed and was not so easy to use, then gradually Die as a secondary application of the system.... Read more hot news on tracehotnews.com.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones