1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Am I backing up too much?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by windsorclarenc, Dec 28, 2011.

1. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Android Enthusiast

When I do a Nandroid backup I always pick every option and backup everything. I realized this may not be necessary. So I was wondering if I'm backing up too much stuff. If I don't select every option might it make my nand backups a little smaller?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

yes you probably are backing up too much. takes up a lot of space. personal preference.

in amon ra recovery, the first 3 are checked by default. If you are partitioned and using a2sd, you should x in sd ext.

If you are using apps2sd, you should x in android secure, I think it is called.

you should have a back up that includes wimax, as well, or even one that JUST has wimax, kept somewhere safe. Those are for your 4g and can get messed up but can be replaced if you have them safe.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

yep i only do the first three in amon ra and sd ext as i have my card partitioned as well. i also have one nandroid backup with wimax saved on my computer and also in dropbox(you never know what can happen to your computer).

4. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert

I back up everything every time.

andygu3, windsorclarenc and dustwun77 like this.
  5. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Android Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to be doing full backups on roms i really love and do the minimum on the others.

dustwun77 likes this.
  6. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

After you have a copy of your wimax keys stowed away safely, I think it is just personal preference as to how much you back up. It does get memory intensive though. :p

andygu3 likes this.
  7. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

I select everything when I make a nandroid. I don't keep nandroids around for very long so I back up everything and delete nandroids as I go.

+1:)

That's a good idea but you don't have to make a nandroid every time you flash a new rom. If you know a specific nandroid restores fine, I would keep that full nandroid around for a bit. That way, if you get into a pickle, restore that nandroid to save you.;)

The other thing I do is to keep a safe rom, like MikG, on my sdcard at all times. Then if restores don't work, then you can always flash MikG and get a working phone up and running rather quickly;)

MusicJunkie and dustwun77 like this.
  8. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert

I keep my stock setup and also at least 1 aosp and 1 sense on my phone at all times.

andygu3 and MusicJunkie like this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews