• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Am I screwed?

dougouk

Jul 22, 2011
Ok so i was fiddling with my captivate while eating cereal with the phone dangerously close to the bowl...
I will never figure out how clumsy one can get, dropping a phone right into a bowl of cereal.

fortunately though, only the top quarter-half part of the phone got a little dip before I snatched it back out. I immediately wiped all the milk off with tissue (only thing close to me) and took a good look at my phone. Thankfully, it was still working! The power buttons and volume buttons were all sticky from the milk, but I fixed that up =P.

my problem is, the ear-speaker(?), the one at the front-facing side, the one you use for voice calls, does not work properly. whenever I call someone, I can barely hear them through the ear-speaker. So I have to use either the headphones or the actual speakers on the front.
This is most likely from the residue left from the dried milk... Right?

Is there a way to fix this? Anyone know any tricks or such? please please help T__T

1. Remove the battery from the phone and see if a corn flake is blocking the speaker. :rolleyes:

2. If not, with the battery removed check the overall condition of the speaker grill. If nothing's visibly wrong, tap 1 time on the grill. Reboot the phone and see if that helps (a serious reply).

3. If #2 fails, take the phone apart and place all pieces in a Ziploc bag filled with white rice. Let the rice absorb any liquid overnight, re-assemble the phone and retry its functionality. (another serious reply).

4. If the above prove fruitless, the liquid detection stickers within the device detect water intrusion. Maybe they don't detect milk (yes, another :rolleyes:). If #2 and #3 didn't work and the stickers are white and you're under warranty - exchange it.

P.S. In the future, if the phone gets wet - DON'T TURN IT ON. Go directly to the solution listed in 3 above.

and...switch to oatmeal.

Upvote 0
1. Remove the battery from the phone and see if a corn flake is blocking the speaker. :rolleyes:

2. If not, with the battery removed check the overall condition of the speaker grill. If nothing's visibly wrong, tap 1 time on the grill. Reboot the phone and see if that helps (a serious reply).

3. If #2 fails, take the phone apart and place all pieces in a Ziploc bag filled with white rice. Let the rice absorb any liquid overnight, re-assemble the phone and retry its functionality. (another serious reply).

4. If the above prove fruitless, the liquid detection stickers within the device detect water intrusion. Maybe they don't detect milk (yes, another :rolleyes:). If #2 and #3 didn't work and the stickers are white and you're under warranty - exchange it.

P.S. In the future, if the phone gets wet - DON'T TURN IT ON. Go directly to the solution listed in 3 above.

and...switch to oatmeal.

it sounds like u misunderstood something... the part that does not work is the ear-speaker (wat do u actually call this, i have no idea) above
the screen and all.. i can't see if anythings wrong with these speakers by removing the battery because the battery's on the other side.

T__T
thx for ur care though.

anyone else please~? T__T

Upvote 0
it sounds like u misunderstood something... the part that does not work is the ear-speaker (wat do u actually call this, i have no idea) above
the screen and all.. i can't see if anythings wrong with these speakers by removing the battery because the battery's on the other side.

T__T
thx for ur care though.

anyone else please~? T__T

You're absolutely correct. The old speaker vs. earpiece confusion. In an attempt to redeem myself, a user on another forum blew compressed ear into the earpiece and that helped him / her. Worth a shot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones