• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

And the verdict is?

Well the phone is more or less awesome. I just tested my GPS again to make sure it's still working, and I'm sitting in my bedroom, got a lock right away but its about a mile or so off.

I have google search and voice search working through launcher pro.

My two biggest problems with the phone right now are:

1) Bloatware - I have tons of apps on here already and I've only actually downloaded 5 I want. I can't wait to get rid of all this crap.

2) The back just feels slippery in my hand. I just want someone to come out with a new back case with a different finish.

Otherwise, I love it.

1. bloatware should be able to remove soon when 1click root comes out
2. phantom skinz should come out with the chromatic cover to give it a nice, anti-fingerprint carbon fiber look.

BOGA= buy one get another free:eek:

Upvote 0
Honestly, it's too soon to call right now. I've only had it for a few hours. lol For the next few days and weeks, I'm going to really be pushing it to see how it fares to my current phone, the DX.

Keep us posted. I am very interested in your findings as the DX will most likely be my Fascinate's replacement. Don't see that happening at the moment but you never know.

1. When will there actually be a rooted rom? A lot of talk about the device being rooted, but no stable Galaxy S rom that works for the other versions I have seen. The leaked 2.2 that people touted a while back only works for a few versions and mainly the international models. Even then it is problematic. A generic 2.2 rom would be more bad than good. Even the Incredible has problems and same chipset as those roms.

2. In regards to root, has anyone rooted the Fascinate and applied any root-only apps and see if they work? The key litmus test would be Titanium Backup. If it works- it is gold.

I am rooted & TB works flawlessly.

Reactions: SirKronan
Upvote 0
So is this phone better than the driod x?

Droid X is a good phone. I tested it out for about 10 days. I like the feel of it, its really is a solid phone.

The biggest difference for me was the screen, reading text like an ebook and coming to forums like these. Double tapping and the fascinate blows up the text but snaps it into place to fit the screen. The Droid X was always a little off and I'd have to adjust it. The droid x for reading an ebook has a harsher screen. The white background was harsh and the contrast of black text couldn't match the Fascinate. Even though the Droid X is a larger screen, the Fascinate is easier to read emails, books and websites as far as text goes, but the Droid X can stretch out a whole page a little better. Finally, the droid x doesn't have the same viewing angles of the Fascinate. If I were reading and laid the Droid x down the contrast and colors would shift where the Fascinate remains even.

Other then those things I pointed out, I could have went with either phone and been happy performance wise. It was the little things that made me go with the Samsung. Although the screen, was a big thing. I don't think I can ever use another non-Super Amoled screen again.:D

I guess I need to change what phone I have now. I see you have an iPhone 3G. I've been using mine on Wifi for Skype, but now the Fascinate has it so I may sell it off hehe.

Upvote 0
Droid X is a good phone. I tested it out for about 10 days. I like the feel of it, its really is a solid phone.

The biggest difference for me was the screen, reading text like an ebook and coming to forums like these. Double tapping and the fascinate blows up the text but snaps it into place to fit the screen. The Droid X was always a little off and I'd have to adjust it. The droid x for reading an ebook has a harsher screen. The white background was harsh and the contrast of black text couldn't match the Fascinate. Even though the Droid X is a larger screen, the Fascinate is easier to read emails, books and websites as far as text goes, but the Droid X can stretch out a whole page a little better. Finally, the droid x doesn't have the same viewing angles of the Fascinate. If I were reading and laid the Droid x down the contrast and colors would shift where the Fascinate remains even.

Other then those things I pointed out, I could have went with either phone and been happy performance wise. It was the little things that made me go with the Samsung. Although the screen, was a big thing. I don't think I can ever use another non-Super Amoled screen again.:D

I guess I need to change what phone I have now. I see you have an iPhone 3G. I've been using mine on Wifi for Skype, but now the Fascinate has it so I may sell it off hehe.

I still use it for zynga poker and a little web browsing when my captivate has a low battery.

Upvote 0
Great phone, best available....

...but, I am having problems with GPS, though its workable outdoors
...lots of bloat (thanks vzw) but nothing a little root and some freshly cooked roms wont be fixing very soon

I have used it HEAVILY for 2 days and both days the phone has made it through the day with >30% battery life at the end of the day.

Upvote 0
Keep us posted. I am very interested in your findings as the DX will most likely be my Fascinate's replacement. Don't see that happening at the moment but you never know.

I am rooted & TB works flawlessly.

So is this phone better than the driod x?

That's so hard to call, and it's really going to boil down to personal preference.

I just realized the first thing about the Droid X that I absolutely cannot stand. It's been a great phone so far, but this drives me nuts: I can't seem to change the volume while I'm on a call and the phone is up against my ear. I have no problem with it turning off the screen like a normal touch screen phone should do when it senses it's by your face. But the physical buttons?? I have to move the phone away. It is a blazing fast phone, too, so the screen comes right on and I can adjust volume right away, but I don't have to do that on the Eris or the Fascinate. Stupid "feature."

Anyhow, here's a link to some of my extensive feedback on comparing both unites side by side:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-fascinate/172039-my-first-impressions-phone-2.html#post1556735

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones