• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 4.2.2 Dual-Core TV Box with Hard-disk Support by Orealo Review

cavemanit

Oct 4, 2013
Alright guys, I felt a little helpful today and wanted to post up a review of the Android 4.2.2 Dual-Core TV Box with Hard-disk Support by Orealo.

Before I begin, I've owned numerous tv box's over the years from different brands - Apple, Roku, and Western Digital - all were good, but I wanted to try out a full Android OS on the big screen.

I got this thing a week ago. I bought it for $80 from their official website at Orealo.com but you can get it for less on Amazon for like 70 bucks - 10 dollars cheaper. Amazon.com: Android / XBMC Smart TV Media Player with SATA Harddisk support by Orealo Dual Core Processor Quad core GPU 1GB RAM WIFI and Ethernet Support: Electronics

Reason I bought it from Orealo is due to the fact that I wanted support, just in case the device was defective.

So here is the box...
ksGMTlnVBA9mcSWqmZgBeBN8hlnhIBqFfvZr9S1iAJQ=w568-h378-p-no

This thing has ALOT of ports - by far the most I've seen on any Tv Box's. So you can hook up basically almost anything here.
-3Vq1R6AgetF-uSpVhjCZWiVVsqP9y66RniiCUP94-Q=w566-h378-p-no

ZhSk6zSsoIA0VifZ69rABXgm4PWtKFJtzQZyJasqJho=w566-h378-p-no

Here are the hardware specifications:
  • CPU: Allwinner A20 Dual Core 1.2GHz A9 CPU
  • GPU: Mali 400 Quad Core GPU
  • Storage: 4GB Storage
  • WiFi: RealTek 802.11 b/g/n

Here are the software
  • Web Browser: Google Chrome
  • DLNA: Supported
  • Video Playback: Up to 1080p
  • Music Playback: MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV
  • Picture Viewer: Yes
  • Video Playback: MPEG-2, H.264, MPEG-4 at 1080p

The unit came with a
  • The Unit
  • Remote
  • Power Adapter
  • A/V Cable
aeUMAzwbUUk847IWedCV6eMv73hUcx-a2TWQO7EJu64=w568-h378-p-no

The remote can be compared to your typical dvd/blu ray player remote - except that it has the option of having the mouse as a cursor! This is one of the best features of this device because it's like having a computer monitor on your screen without the mouse/keyboard! You can move the cursor around via the directional pad.
lMueY6wFeXNZFRZhNxpz4OcvEOK14FfFrN5z2ne3UeU=w566-h378-p-no

So enough about the hardware, let's talk about the Android OS. Here is what the homepage menu looks like:
fwT0hfbTgOPEGyjyroyKlj9iNs_kDq6GlVPi263MfQg=w568-h378-p-no

The first thing I did was hookup my external hard drive and checked out the quality of the video image - this is what I bought the device for! :rolleyes:
8-KraxnP6TB8fxfeYBDbz_IpaBzQSnXNKmTea355I2E=w566-h378-p-no

I played Kung Fu Panda You can't see it in the image (camera sucks in the dark) but the quality was excellent! Based on my assessment, I would say the video played in 1080p - I'm not overstating!
owB8rcLwCEGhoZPj0jniwKx4yrMhf7WsCGYQZBtd6_c=w568-h378-p-no

Next I logged into my wifi network and visited the app section to play Netflix.
IMG_0130.jpg

I played The Office. Again you can't see it from the image, but the quality was excellent. It also played 1080p.
IMG_0119.jpg

I was curious about the Google Chrome web browser so I checked it out. It was very easy to browse around! You can't see the mouse cursor from the image below, but you can easily navigate around the web without a mouse/keyboard. Although you can hookup a mouse and keyboard if you want! I was using it mostly for looking at some news items:D
IMG_0129.jpg

So I haven't really played around in terms of games and play store - still have to once I get some time. I bought it mainly for hooking up my external hard drive to watch movies or connect to the internet to watch Netflix. However, whatever app is in the Google Play Store, you can download it! So this device is capable of delivering tons of content right into your television. Think of it like an Android phone on your big screen - only it fits and does not dilute the image quality of the screen. :)

Anyways, I really don't have any cons for this device. I would rate it one of the best gadgets I've ever bought. I rank it 10/10 based on comparisons with other tv boxes I've bought like the Apple Tv, Roku Streaming, and Western Digital. I've already recommended this device to some of my coworkers/family.:D

Hope you guys like my review! I'll make sure to post more when I get another gadget. hehe.

Reactions: dibblebill
Not bad. How is the rootability? That's the big factor for me in anything replacing my Ouya (well, since it now runs the Play Store, at any rate), is what kind of root applications can I run on it?

I have not tried rooting it yet but I did ask the manufacturer.The box is based on the A20 Allwinner chipset. There should be an open source kernel for this SoC. So rooting wise, it's quite open!:D

Upvote 0
Super, I liked it. If DW allows, that will be my christmas gift :)
I have Roku XS but the USB port of that box never worked. Their Roku app for streaming does not work on my HTC One X (and Roku people do not bother to help, so why support them?)

Few questions
- OS is like Nexus/barebone or they have some proprietary stuff installed?
- If you have Kill-A-Watt, could you please check the power consumption
- Any idea, why 1TB HDD support only? Have you tried hooking up 1TB+ HDD on USB port and tried playing?
- Is the experience any different than large android phone? (Something it can not do but the phone can, for e.g.)

Upvote 0
Super, I liked it. If DW allows, that will be my christmas gift :)
I have Roku XS but the USB port of that box never worked. Their Roku app for streaming does not work on my HTC One X (and Roku people do not bother to help, so why support them?)

Few questions
- Any idea, why 1TB HDD support only? Have you tried hooking up 1TB+ HDD on USB port and tried playing?
- Is the experience any different than large android phone? (Something it can not do but the phone can, for e.g.)

Thanks! I'd be happy to answer your questions.

THe OS is like a Nexus. I don't believe they have any propriety stuff installed.

I don't have that. I'll install it and let you know though.

I've used a 2 TB Western HDD on it via USB and it works flawlessly. Not sure why it says 1TB HDD support only.

Well like I said, unlike mirroring your phone to the tv it doesn't dilute the image quality.

Below is an example video I made. Sorry about the fan noise. I hooked it up to my projector. Pretty loud. Everything was control via remote control.
YouTube

Upvote 0
Hi guys

I got this box for Christmas. It does look good but I am having some problems.

1. When in either of the browsers I am unable to scroll down the page. There is contents on the page but using the remote control in either mouse or non mouse mode I cannot get to see the content lower down the page. There are no scroll bars in the browser.
2. The time is incorrect. I have set the location to my time zone but the clock still shows the incorrect time. I cant find a place to re-set or enter the time manually.
3. There appears to be an incomplete settings menu compared to , eg no system options, not all personal options, eg Location is present but not security, no Accounts etc.
4. Does anybody know who the manufacturer is?
5. Does anybody know of an android app that would allow me to use a virtual keyboard and mouse from my android tablet? I have tried a lot but they seem aimed at PC not android media centres?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones