• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android, and Android app, in military and law enforcement

This very interesting article describes how Android, and a specific app, are in daily use by the military--starting with my favorite branch, the USAF--and law enforcement.

"Called Android Tactical Assault Kit, or ATAK, this piece of software has gone on to become the preferred app of American tactical teams across most branches and even in law enforcement."

One great point it makes is that it is possible for a government project to stick to its budget!

"ATAK is rare in that it’s a Department of Defense software program that has achieved wild success while mostly sticking to its original budget. While the use of commercial off-the-shelf hardware and software has seen a spotty record across the military, the ATAK program shows what can happen when it’s done right. The powerful yet flexible nature of the Android operating system paired with a responsive development team has produced a product that’s not only been very successful in the military, but licensed out into to civilian companies as well."

It's a quick read, and makes me happy to see 'my' OS used this way. :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones