• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Backup/Restore Question

Defacto

Lurker
Mar 19, 2018
Alright guys, I'm kinda freaking out because I did something stupid. I got a question related to Android Restoring previously delete apps.

Here is the short version of the story.

I have the BitPay App which allows out put Bitcoins onto a debit card so you can cashout bitcoins in USD.

Well this morning the app was throwing me a random error so I decided to delete and reinstall the app.

After reinstalling the app I realized I lost access to my previously linked Bitcoin Wallets that were saved inside the app. I figured I'd just login and BAM it would be there, but it wasn't. I have a recovery seed but it happens to be the seed from a different wallet that was also active in BitPay. I think I had 2-3 wallets stored inside the app.

There wasn't much coin (maybe a few hundred $$) I'm not a bitcoin millionaire or anything so it's not like I'm out an astronomical amount of $$. It just makes me made that I was stupid enough not to backup the other wallets.

Here is my question.... Is there any app/program or any other way to restore my phone to a previous point in time (preferably a few minutes or days before I deleted that app) I know you could do it with Windows because it would randomly save backup points. I'm not sure if android does anything like this by default. My problem is I have no backup apps previously installed so there wouldn't be any backup points/saves to work from.

It's probably unlikely but I figured I would ask.

I'm working with a Asus Zenfone 2 Deluxe.

Thanks

Here is my question.... Is there any app/program or any other way to restore my phone to a previous point in time (preferably a few minutes or days before I deleted that app) I know you could do it with Windows because it would randomly save backup points. I'm not sure if android does anything like this by default. My problem is I have no backup apps previously installed so there wouldn't be any backup points/saves to work from.

It's probably unlikely but I figured I would ask.

I'm working with a Asus Zenfone 2 Deluxe.

Thanks
Odds are you're not going to be able to recover those lost bitcoin wallet files, especially given the security issues tied to bitcoin overall.

Also as a side note, if you're relying on Windows Restore Points as some kind of backup solution for your Windows computer/laptop, note that Restore Points only apply to Windows operating system configuration settings and its related files, along with some applications. It does not include any of your personal files, documents, etc.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/
Don't put this off for later, set some kind of actual backup solution for your files now.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
The issue is with both Bitcoin security protocol AND how android handles deleted and reinstalled apps. Basically since I deleted the app I lost access to my wallet/settings. I was able to access wallets on phone without any login info before the delete.

I understand Bitcoin security seeds and recovery of wallets. It just pisses me off that the BitPay app asks me to backup wallets when I first installed but not when I produced any future wallets directly through the app.

What sucks is my Asus Zenfone has a factory Backup App that lets you setup backup points including all settings on individual apps.

I guess the moral of the story is Backup, Backup, Backup especially before I delete any financial apps.

If anyone can think of anything else let me know. If not thanks for everyone's help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones