• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android Contacts from SIM instead of email?

I have had my Gmail address since 2005, and I have 3500 or so Contacts in there.

Most are Sellers on Amazon, Craigslist, and eBay that Gmail has decided need to be a part of my list of contacts.

There are also a lot of people in there I keep for historical reasons because I may need to contact them later at some point (I doubt it).

I got a Motorola Moto E2 a few weeks ago. Before getting this Android phone, I kept all of my contacts on my SIM card.

I was not able to see any of those contacts, and a quick online search was able to tell me how to merge my SIM contacts into the phone.

What that did, however, was merge all of those phone/SIM contacts with my Gmail contacts.

Now, my phone is a complete mess! A lot of the contacts it was not able to resolve, so whenever I try calling someone from my Contacts it seems to be trying to convert their email address into a phone number.

It took me a while to figure out what this phone was doing, but now I have literally thousands of messed up contacts on this phone.

Short of resetting the whole phone, is there a way to fix this?

Honestly, why would someone want their email contacts to show up when they are trying to make a phone call or a text?

Is the Android group working to create a fix for this, or is there a fix that is out there now?

Phone Specs:
Baseband version: M8916_2020602.05.03.21.07R SURNIA_TMO_CUST
Hardware SKU: XT1527
Kernel Version 3.10.49-gf2d7a94 \n hudsoncm@ilclbld97 #1 \n Mon Mar 28 03:56:31 CDT 2016
System Version: 23.201.2.surnia_cc_tmo.CC.en.US cc
Build number LPIS23.29-18.9-2

Honestly, why would someone want their email contacts to show up when they are trying to make a phone call or a text?

Well, because from the contacts app it allows you to directly create a phone call, text or email. Gmail is after all an email app. The contacts app is not meant just for phone calls.

Upvote 0
I suppose if you don't have too many contacts, it isn't a big deal.

Is there anyway to ask Android to only display those Contacts that have Phone Numbers when I am at the Phone interface and using my Contacts list?

Same goes for sending an email. If a Contact only has a phone number and no email address, they really should not show up in the list.

Do you follow that logic?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones