• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android/DROID Limitations and Disappointments

rr2577

Lurker
Apr 23, 2010
While I think Android (2.1) is a great OS, and I love my DROID, there are several limitations of the OS and the Hardware that significantly reduce my ability to use/enjoy the device. I post these in the hope that either I am mistaken or Android developers will take note:

1) No Cut, Copy and Paste in Gmail App: Ridiculous. This should be corrected immediately - I see user posts going back a year or more complaining of this. It is a deal-breaker for those who use their phones for business. Wake up.

1a) Cut, Copy and Paste should be more accessible and easier to use throughout the entire OS, and available in ANY/ALL text fields. This is also a MUST.

2) The DROID keyboard: Is useless. The keys are all flat, and together. Typos abound.

3) No ability to turn vcf contact files that are received into contacts directly in the GMail email app. Also insanely silly to have omitted this. This is a primary concern for anyone who uses the device for communication and business.

4) After manually adding a contact, and saving it, the device brings you back to the beginning of your ENTIRE contact list, leaving you to do a search (or scroll) to confirm that the contact was successfully added. Very poor. The OS Contact app should return you to the specific contact after adding (since you are very likely to be communicating with them - and therefore are entering the info).

It seems to me that these are very basic requirements and required functionality to use Android devices. Yet I cant find any expected dates when they might be available, or even that Google is working on them. I am amazed at this - perhaps I missed it?

1) My point regarding adding a contact is that the user should not have to take any steps to see the contact that he/she just added - it should be shown by default (either in a full screen page with a success notification or in the contacts list view - but the new contact is highlighted.

2) a vcf file is a contact filetype that can be sent for sharing. For instance, I recommend my dentist to you, and you want to have all the info, I can shoot you an email with the exported Dentist contact in a vcf file. You should be able to simply click it and add it to your contacts. Fast sharing of contacts. Blackberry users have been doing this for years.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones