• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android OS excessive Data

Just an update. Almost through a month. I've added a good bit and no big os jump.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160523-142131.png
    Screenshot_20160523-142131.png
    498.7 KB · Views: 252
Upvote 0
@Peter kuhn it's been a month now since your last update. Did you find out what was causing the issue?
I have the same problem here. When you google it, you realize people have been having this issue for years and there is no apparent solution.
I actually noticed that when I turn off the wifi the Android OS data is higher for some weird reason. I'm thinking it could have something to do with the location settings. I mean, the phone uses wifi to improve accuracy. So, when I turn off the wifi, the phone relies more on the cell towers, hence data! Anyone with a little more technical knowledge can confirm if that makes any sense or am I talking BS here? Also, someone said that solved their issues by using "GPS only". I'm trying that right now, let's see!

Upvote 0
PROBLEM SOLVED! Turn ON all your background data... Yes make sure all of it is on and it will fix your Android OS Data issue. Whats happening is that the background data is still being sucked in under android os instead of the app causing a double data bug. Try it out and see it work! Also, remove your sim card and put back in to be safe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First time poster, so go easy on me lol!
Seems a very common error with excessive Data usage on Android os, does anybody know the cause of it? Running 6.0.1. I've disabled quite a few apps I don't use, and also force stop most apps apart from the handful I use fb,imdb,instagram.

Many Thanks and hope somebody could shine some light on this issue.

I found the problem if u go into applications there's this thing called Samsung pay frame work u need to force stop it on my phone it said that it used up 700mb in the background I forced stopped it and now it uses up nothing let me know if this worked

Upvote 0
I wanted to jump in to say that I have this exact same problem and it only started this past month. I've tried basically every suggestion the internet and none have helped. I'm going to try the suggestions in here that I haven't done yet and hopefully one of them works. I know I'm not really contributing a lot of information, but as someone who has been killing themselves to find a solution to this it was actually very comforting to see that I wasn't the only one with this issue, so I'm posting for the sake of solidarity! I'll try to remember to post again if any one solution works.

Upvote 0
I've been dealing with this issue also the last few months. Everywhere I look all you see are the same answers. I disabled everything. I restricted data usage. It still charged data to android os. Even on days where I was on WiFi all day still mobile data under android os. This is a brand new phone. So I looked at my old one and there as well was android os with large amounts of data. Not to the extent of my s7 but still way to high. I contacted Samsung. They had me place it in safe mode. I also had to restrict background data. That seemed to work. However why have a phone if that's how you have to use it. So I got to thinking. During my research the only common thing is that it is an android device with a Google account. This is not limited to Samsung, or other phone makers or to Verizon and att. This is everyone. So I reset my phone and created a new Google account. No apps transfered over. No files. Nothing. Two days in and Android os is at 688kb. Now I have yet to download any apps. Only the bloat ware it came with. However I've restricted nothing. Once every three days I will add an app. Starting with the most popular ones (Facebook etc). My thought there would be it has to be one of the major apps. I'll keep everyone posted when I see a spike. I'm not the most tech savvy but is there a possibility that this could be a virus that attaches to an app within your Google account? Looking at my tablet and galaxy s4 the usage is high on them as well. All three devices were synced together. However since neither now has a data plan they are only used in wifi mode. I'll keep everyone posted over the next few weeks as I see what changes occur as I add apps.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Had to sign up to share my luck, using Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

I tried all these solutions with no luck, Android OS was eating a steady 100mb a day regardless. That data consumption wasn't aesthetic, EE confirmed it was actual consumption.

It had been happening for a few months so I thought about any changes I'd made, and I remembered I'd switched to power save mode a few months ago for battery reasons (with background data restricted). Turns out switching this off has solved my issue completely (see attached). Hope this helps some of you.

TLDR: turn off power save mode.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161101-200840.png
    Screenshot_20161101-200840.png
    344.3 KB · Views: 331
Upvote 0
I tried everything! The ONLY resolution is to remove your google account from the phone when not in use.

I tried installing a firewall and blocking androidOS but this failed to reduce data use. I tried blocking google account or play services which also failed. It is clear that google has tied root level processes into their own applications (such as photos, mail, etc) so there is no way to block data use. The only option is to remove the google account when not in use and re-add it when you need to update apps via google play. As a side benifit google will also no longer track you when you use gmail or their apps in the browser. YAY!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones