• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Paranoid

Nov 16, 2008
I was reading up on the specifications of the HTC Dream 100 (G1) and I was wondering if Android is able to use the SD card as expandable memory to increase the 192 MB of RAM. The processor in the phone is particularly powerful for a smartphone, but the RAM seems lacking, and I feel it would probably start to hamper phone performance when larger, more memory intensive applications and games come out.

The read/write speed on the SD card is a lot slower than any internal RAM the phone has. Even if it could use the SD card as more RAM, it'd be terribly slow.

The problem is that all programs are stored and run in valuable RAM ... by storing the programs on the SD then that RAM is free for more processing and therefore larger more powerful programs could exist. Not to mention Larger Applications size and numbers can be easily stored on the SD. Google needs to work this issue out for Android to be a viable platform... if their concern for locking down root access is so great... then they need to provide the change that will enable programs to be stored and loaded from the SD card... Locking down access in counter productive in what is called "OPEN"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones