• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Recent Photos vs Google Photos

muratt89

Lurker
May 28, 2023
Hey y'all.

Sorry if this mentioned earlier but I have an issue with my new phone. I was using S20+ earlier and now upgraded my phone to S23+ today. There wasn't any photos at my new phone but when I logged into the Google Photos that "Recent Photos" came up to my gallery.

Does it have a relation with Google Photos? I assume it has but what if I delete all of the photos in this " Recent Photos " folder, will it somehow effect my Google Photos? I just don't want this folder to cover that much space on my phone.

Also, I've noticed that this folder somehow has the files that I even deleted from the Google Photos itself! What's up with this anyway?

Google photos stores all of your photos in the cloud, not on your device.
The Gallery app is on your device and is only a photo viewer, nothing more. I never use it. Instead I use a file explorer app to locate and view my photos on my device. So I'm assuming your device is showing you not only your Google photos but also your recent photos when using the gallery app ?
The camera will store the photos you take to the DCIM folder. Most likely where your recent photos reside.
I wouldn't go deleting anything from the Gallery app because once you do they're gone. I would just not use a gallery app IMO...

Upvote 0
Hey y'all.

Sorry if this mentioned earlier but I have an issue with my new phone. I was using S20+ earlier and now upgraded my phone to S23+ today. There wasn't any photos at my new phone but when I logged into the Google Photos that "Recent Photos" came up to my gallery.

Does it have a relation with Google Photos? I assume it has but what if I delete all of the photos in this " Recent Photos " folder, will it somehow effect my Google Photos? I just don't want this folder to cover that much space on my phone.

Also, I've noticed that this folder somehow has the files that I even deleted from the Google Photos itself! What's up with this anyway?
so the gallery and google photos apps are two different apps so there is no relations. but both will pull any images that you have stored either on the phone or on the sd card. so they can show the same images on both. and "recent folder"? i do not have this folder on my z fold 4. where are you seeing this folder?

Upvote 0
I didn't respond because I'd never seen anything on my phone called "Recent Photos". But then when I read your thread I wondered whether this might be something to do with the Samsung gallery app (which, despite owning an s21, I don't use at all), and opening that app, pressing the 3 line menu and selecting "Recent" does give me a timeline view of images on my phone. Is this what you are talking about?

(I might add that my Samsung Gallery is also an old version because I don't update Samsung apps that I don't use, so may look different to yours as well).

Personally I doubt very much that "recent photos" is actually a folder. Different gallery apps can show different collections of images, ordered by time, by folder, sorted into photos and videos, or whatever, but when a picture shows in a timeline view or a folder view, or in your Gallery app vs Google Photos, it will be the same file in every case. So if you delete it in one place it will be gone from them all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones