• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Android Support Reposity includeable in Eclipse Neon?

armai123mai

Lurker
Sep 24, 2016
Hi,

for certain compatibility reasons, I have to use Eclipse Neon for Android Development to develop an android app. Therefore I also have to use the newest Android SDK so I can implement some newest features.

Now, I am facing the problem that I cannot compile any Android app with Eclipse, because I get errors like

The import android.support cannot be resolved

ActionBarActivity cannot be resolved to a type

Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name "ThemeAppCompat. …"

upon building. As I found out, this is because Eclipse is missing the "Android support library" (android support library.jar ?) in the sdk folder. The reason for this is, as I found out, that this library is obsolete and has been replaced by the "Android support repository". It has not been installed by the Android SDK manager and cannot be installed anymore, but Eclipse still needs it apparently.

I searched a lot for a solution for this but all answers I could find was "Swtich to Android Studio"… Unfortunately, there is no way around using Eclipse for me. Is there any known way to include the support repository and make eclipse use it? I found this site

https://developer.android.com/topic/libraries/support-library/setup.html

and thought, maybe I can follow these steps to make my app to a gradle.build and then include the stuff from the repository and get my stuff to work, but unfortunately I could not find a way to realize this.

I changed the related section in the gradle.build file to this:

dependencies {

compile 'com.android.support:appcompat-v7:24.0.0'

}

but could not get the app being built.

Is there any known solution for this? I actually cannot imagine that I am the only one trying to develop an Android App with the new support repository file these days. Should I maybe manually insert the obsolete (but newest) android support library.jar file from an older IDE? Could this work?

Thank you many times for your help.

Sorry you have to hear it again.... but the reason you are not getting a solution is because,  there are not a lot of developers who are still using eclipse for android development.  As times goes, you will find could see more issues and may not get a solution on the forums at all.
I would recommend you invest the time to migrate over to Android Studio. Its their (GOOGLE) own dedicated Android Development IDE and they update it to support the latest libraries as they get released.
Hope that was a helpful advice.

Upvote 0
Sorry you have to hear it again.... but the reason you are not getting a solution is because,  there are not a lot of developers who are still using eclipse for android development.  As times goes, you will find could see more issues and may not get a solution on the forums at all.
I would recommend you invest the time to migrate over to Android Studio. Its their (GOOGLE) own dedicated Android Development IDE and they update it to support the latest libraries as they get released.
Hope that was a helpful advice.

Agreed, but the OP said they'd already had that advice and couldn't switch from using Eclipse. I wonder why that's the case? Totally agree though, that going forward, sticking with Eclipse will only get harder.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones