• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another Battery Life Issue: Any thoughts?

tessel8

Lurker
Aug 10, 2010
Hi all. I seem to be having what I consider unacceptible battery life and I wanted to collect some thoughts on how to improve it, or if I should seek remedy with AT&T or something. At this point, the phone is of limited use to me because it dies part way through the day, which is unacceptable.

Normal routine. Phone charges completely overnight. I unplug my phone sometime in the 7am hour. I usually get my first battery warning around 3pm. Phone usually shuts itself off around 5-7pm (hence, a serious problem). Since the phone is dying, it is "cycling" the battery every time I charge it. My day is what I would consider moderate usage. For comparison, my Samsung Jack last a day and a half under the same conditions. My settings for display and other things are essentially stock.

I pulled the battery stats the last time the phone died just as it was shutting itself off.

Total time: 11h 49m
Display: 39% 1h 22m
Cell idle: 12% 10h 19m
Cell Standby: 25% 11h 41m, No signal 6%
Android system: 6% CPU background 22m, CPU Foreground 9s
Palringo: 6% Background 22m, foreground 3s
Android OS: 4% 12m
Doplhin HD Browser: 2% 6m 29s, 3m 58s
Android Core apps 2%
Good 2% 4m 50s, 31s

Just buy extra Samsung Galaxy S OEM batteries through Ebay like I did. $11 for 2x batteries + charger, I keep one spare on me when I go out, and I do not worry about battery life at all anymore. So far for me, the extra batteries have provided similar life to the original that came with the phone. If you want a link to the Ebay listing I bought, let me know.

Just to point out, this is one of the advantages over the Iphone, you can swap batteries easily.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones