• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any idea on how to save GPS location for future navigation?

anyone else try this app for saving locations?

Yes, I am. The program works great and the developer is top notch. He spent hours working with me to get a database of current locations, a service route, uploaded into the program. During that process he also modified the program to incorporate a couple of suggestions I made and released a new update last Wednesday. You can name the location and sort by name. You can also include POI as a search able app in the search settings and set the program to automatically go either to map or navigation mode when a saved POI is viewed. You can also setup different groups to store your POI's.

Upvote 0
I agree with all of the previous posts in that accomplishing this very simple task, that virtually everyone would want to do with the push of a button, is neither simple nor intuitive.

However I have a solution for you that does not involve installing a new app or saving a new "contact" (although my instructions are similar to those of Rmac57)
"With the map displaying your current location, touch and hold the place on the map you want to save. It will look up and display the address. When the address displays, touch it once. Options will appear."
NOW: Press the little "star" picture in the upper right corner!

If you want to find this place on the map in the future, hit the "settings" softkey (or whatever it's called, looks like 4 lines on my phone), hit "Starred Items" and press the address it stored automatically for the location.

If you want directions to it, press the "Settings" softkey again, press Directions, then to the right of the "End point:" box click the little button, and "Starred items" is an option.

So, it is rather simple... Once you figure it out :)
Cheers

Upvote 0
All I do is hit menu-my location and then tap the screen where i'm located and it pulls up a pop up with my location, then tap it again and there will be a little star in the top right corner, select it and it will be saved to your starred items. Then all you have to do to find it is hit menu-more-starred items and its there. Someone might have already suggested this but its the easy way I know of to save locations. You can also search for an address and star it that way also.

Upvote 0
I find the solution posted by dryphi (+alnova1) to be the handiest one. You are able to save new locations with just a couple of touches, and they are seamlessly synced with your starred items on the GMaps web site.

Now, there may be two little cons in this approach:

1) New items are named on an address basis and it's not possible to edit them. This could be misleading should two or more locations be on the same street/road.
2) Not every new item is supposed to be a starred item.

I was looking for some more control on saving my locations and so I also followed gthrift's suggestion on My Maps Editor. After all it's a free Google app.

This way you are able to see all your custom maps, create new ones, and save new locations on any of them. It is also possible to add photos, lines and shapes, and to edit a custom address.

The funny part? You can't see your starred items from the Editor! o_O

Well, I believe both approaches come in handy, but I'll stick to the Editor as much as I can.

Thank you dryphi and gthrift for your big help! :D

Upvote 0
I looked up My Maps Editor in the Marketplace and the most recent 20 or 30 comments indicate that this app no longer works and is not compatible with froyo. Can anyone confirm whether this app works or not on the Droid (with 2.2)?

EDIT: I just downloaded it. The app opens long enough to agree to terms of service and then closes. A retry gives you a quick open and then an immediate closure. So, it is not working.

Upvote 0
I was out shopping the other day and wanted to mark where I left the car. I thought this would be a very basic function in places ... "add current location".
I will be able to use Dryphi's solution in most circumstances, but look forward to an upgrade that allows a mobile phone user to simply mark current location by lat/long rather than address.

Upvote 0
Danielson2047, that sounded great but on my Galaxy S 4G from Tmobile, I get no bubble and no little star. I am very sad that we cannot simply click to mark our current location, then be able to return to it. If I wanted to mess around with maps I would use one, not a GPS enabled smart phone. I want to park my car, mark the location, walk around and be able to return to it.
None of this means anything if it doesn't make life easier. If I had a great sense of direction, I probably wouldn't need GPS. Any solutions?

Upvote 0
I forgot to say I am using Navigation (the blue arrow icon). Within that app I did select Maps option as well. But if there is a different free navigation app that can allow me to mark current locations BY BEING THERE, NOT just by finding them by address or on a map as in a lot of the above suggestions, please let me know.

Upvote 0
Hi, I took great interest in your question, and I found out how to do it. First of all you need to download the newest updates from the android market for the Google maps. Second, you will see an application called "maps" in your application area, launch it. Third, on the upper right hand corner you'll see a compass like button tap it, then you'll see your location pop up. fourth, press and hold on the actual cursor which is showing your current location, than you'll see it say "loading address" so than you tap on the address once it's been loaded, than you'll see a new window open with the current address to your current location with a star symbol on the upper right hand corner, tap on it and YOUR DONE! You have now saved your current location! Now when you open the navigation app or the actual map or latitude you'll see your "starred" locations with the current position you have just saved! Cool huh? It’s a little complicated compared to a standalone gps system, but it's capable of saving current positions regardless. READ THE FOLLOWING FIRST: I forgot to include this step as the second step, after you have updated your google maps (if needed) you need to open the app called “latitude” and accept the agreement to share your location with your friends (don’t worry you can turn this feature off in the menu after you have accepted the agreement). Now follow the remaining steps! Good luck! It’s real easy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones