• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any new alternate calendar applications?

Pimlical Android used with Pimlical Desktop. It's not a new app, but it has improved over the last year or so especially related to syncing. It now syncs directly to your desktop by cable through its Desktop app. Recently added Memos, and Contacts are reported to be coming soon.

I have been using this developers apps for several years (Palm OS devices for several years) and would highly recommend them.

Upvote 0
Entries older than a couple months, all the exceptions to a recurring entry.

Calendars and syncing different ones with recurring events always seems an issue, at least in part. I personally run Outlook on my PC and use MyPhoneExplorer to sync via wifi to my phone. I use the ggogle accounts for contacts and calendar on the phone, but I 'freeze' the google.(calendar/bookmarks/contacts).sync apps using Titanium Backup to ensure that nothing is sync'ed to google (though just turning off Google sync does the same thing).

Works for me and I can sync ALL events in my calendar (I can choose this period) to my phone.

HTH

Dave

Upvote 0
Thats why I'm thinking I'm goig to need a calendar app on the phone as well since the build in calendar will have the google imposed limitations.

My calendar outgrew outlook back in 1998 when I hit the 2G .pst limit with a separate .pst file dedicated to just the calendar. I split it out into multile .ics files then imported those into google so it works somewhat for now.

If I could find somehting that would simply open and use an ics file on android (not just import) then I could just sync the files back and forth.

Upvote 0
Thats why I'm thinking I'm goig to need a calendar app on the phone as well since the build in calendar will have the google imposed limitations.

My calendar outgrew outlook back in 1998 when I hit the 2G .pst limit with a separate .pst file dedicated to just the calendar. I split it out into multile .ics files then imported those into google so it works somewhat for now. ... .

Sorry, but that's just silly! What the h5ll have you got in your calendar to make it over 2GB? My pst files used to get larger than that (the email pst, not the calendar) but now I make sure I keep the amount of data small - mainly through not keeping attachments with my email.

The only reason you need a different calendar app on the phone is if you don't like the way the stock one works. The greater majority of the calendar apps out there use the same storage as the stock calendar, just display it differently.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but that's just silly! What the h5ll have you got in your calendar to make it over 2GB? My pst files used to get larger than that (the email pst, not the calendar) but now I make sure I keep the amount of data small - mainly through not keeping attachments with my email.

The only reason you need a different calendar app on the phone is if you don't like the way the stock one works. The greater majority of the calendar apps out there use the same storage as the stock calendar, just display it differently.

Which is why I'm asking for a calendar app that doesn't use the built in sync system.

I have calendar data going back to the 80's when I had my high school schedule on a commodore 64. Its been imported and converted many time over the years to various programs and added to. when I was contracting I had to keep track of my hours spent at thwe client sites and what work I did.

I beleive I shouldn't have to open multiple programs to complete a task. It seems silly to me to open a calendar to see when my appointment is, then open a note taking program to take notes about the work I did then open a word processor to create the client billing sheet then open a spreadsheet to type in the billable time. I had a nice system where everything couple auto generate off the calendar entry so I could use my Windows CE 2.0 PDA and just enter calendar entries while at the client site. I would just tag a category as to weather it was billable or not and if it was buillable to the manufacturers warranty or to the clients helpdesk or networking services then some code and macros would generate the rest of the documentation once I sync'ed. The file explorer plugin for outlook 98 was pretty helpful because I could point to documents from there.

Then the stupid iphone came out and got popular and everyone elses interface had to be dumbed down because the iphone is what sold. Its now over a decade later and I don't yet have the same simple functionality as I did in the late 90's.

But getting back off my rant for a minute, over the years I have amassed hundreds if not thousands of files but the calendar is the reference that ties them all together. So that has become my most important file. If I need an example to demonstrate to a client why its important to regularly patch their servers I can go back and find several incidents over the years just with a quick search. I was filling out a background check form last week and needed to know the dates I lived at each address. Those are in my calendar but the phone won't sync or search that far back and its not really an issue of file size. I've taken the .ics and copied it over and can search with a text editor so I just need a calendar app that will directly read and write .ics files. I can then setup my own sync system and just cync the files back and forth.

Those yeas of .ics files are no where near 2G, MSOutlook just wasn't efficient as storage, one of the many reasons I had to drop it.

FWIW I've never been completely happy with any PIM/calendar I've used. I think the main issue comes from all trying to emulate the paper day planner. IMHO I shouldn't have to have tasks, calendar and journal in separate views. So when I would get up in the morning I had to check multiple views to see everything. A lot of programs have tried to work around that with a today pane but really just view everything in one place. Some calendar programs will let you view tasks on the calendar which is a start. MS Outlook would also never impement any kind of project managemt since they wants you to buy MS project.

The best PIM/calendar I have used so far is KDEPIM/Korganizer. It will let you have tasks and subtasks which is sufficient for simple project management. I did manage a one way sync to my phone by using a icaldeamon to sync the files up to google. Then if you delete the google calendar and resync once every coupld months it sees everything as a new entry and therefor sends down to the phone but you have to put your phone aside for a hour :)
Borrowed an ipad one time and tried to get it to see everything and it never recovered.

Upvote 0
Wasn't trying to put you in your place or anything like that :) Just wanted to explain myself.
Not really changing habbits, I just want all my data accessable. Smartphones, tablets, etc can be nice but everyone wants to copy Apple's limitationsn and if they would just make it to you could turn off the limitation it would meet my needs. I've been able to hack it before by deleting and reuploading and then waiting an hour for the initial sync but after that it works fine. So let me make the chose by making that a setting.
But then there is the lack of categories, I had to create separate calendars for that but can't combine categories then without having duplicates.
Then the recurring issues. So I put my kids school schedule in and then start deleting the individual days they are off school but look on the phone and it still shows them in school on some of those days.

Upvote 0
FWIW I've never been completely happy with any PIM/calendar I've used. I think the main issue comes from all trying to emulate the paper day planner. IMHO I shouldn't have to have tasks, calendar and journal in separate views.

You mean like this? Pocket Informer 2 with a free trial

Screenshot_2013-04-16-15-58-00.png

Upvote 0
I feel like my posts are invisible. Once again, Pimlical Android with Pimlical Desktop sync directly without using Google. Maybe I am wrong, but I seems like these 2 apps cover your wishes. I don't claim to understand the file sizes and file types you describe, I am not as tech savvy as some, but far from a beginner. Been using it for years. I find it a great organizer.

Pimlicosoftware is the web site to check it out. Looks like free trials are available.

Upvote 0
I feel like my posts are invisible. Once again, Pimlical Android with Pimlical Desktop sync directly without using Google. Maybe I am wrong, but I seems like these 2 apps cover your wishes. I don't claim to understand the file sizes and file types you describe, I am not as tech savvy as some, but far from a beginner. Been using it for years. I find it a great organizer.

Pimlicosoftware is the web site to check it out. Looks like free trials are available.

Sorry, didn't ignore you, just hadn't had a chance to test it out yet. I need to build up a new VM to put it on.

Upvote 0
Looking at it, but how do you get the data back to your desktop? Looks like it will sync with their paid online service or google calendar so it still seems to have some of the same issue of syncing.

I haven't used the desktop sync side of it but it uses Microsoft Outlook to sync -

"iOS and Outlook Sync integrates systems you use everyday with your mobile device!

Native iOS Calendar Access
NEW! iOS Reminders Support!
Full access to your iOS Events
Requires iOS 4.0 and above
Calendar Events only; no Tasks
Windows Outlook Preferred Sync
Fieldstone Software’s gSyncit is our preferred Outlook to Pocket Informant sync.
gSyncit is a Microsoft Outlook add-in that allows for the synchronization of calendars, contacts, notes, and tasks between Outlook and your Pocket Informant Online, Google and Toodledo accounts"
Provides the best experience for syncing Outlook to Pocket Informant"

Source below
Pocket Informant PRO | WebIS, Inc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones