• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Any suggestions on how to regain root after the OTA ICS update using Linux?

raff1ut

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
Any suggestions on how to regain root after the OTA ICS update using Linux? I've read through various posts scattered about the innerwebs regarding how to using Windows but I'm an avid Linux user and actually prefer manually rooting devices. I've downloaded the A2_ICS_Root Zip (found on XDA) and explored the contents but not sure how to utilize them. I've rooted the phone in the past manually using Android SDK, Terminal, push/adb shell commands and Motofail but of course lost root with the ICS update. As a test I tried to regain root using the same method but of course it failed.

Figured it out. Re-rooted!!

Hope it helps any other of us hard headed Linux types. A lot easier than I was making it out to be.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=33487915#post33487915

I extracted the A2_ICS_root zip file into it's own folder, put the phone into debug mode and made sure MTP (media device) was checked, hooked to USB then ran a few checks in Terminal to make sure the device was recognized. Then I dragged "a2_ics_root.sh" into the open Terminal window and let it do its thing. I already had Superuser installed in earlier root (prior to ICS) so maybe that's why I got the "cannot stat 'su': No such file or directory cannot stat 'Superuser.apk': No such file or directory" error but then it said "You are rooted!". So to check to make sure I was actually rooted I ran the adb shell command and got this "shell@edison:/ $" then entered su, and got this "root@edison:/ #"

Success!!
smile.gif

Attachments

• Selection_014.png
    Selection_014.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones