• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone else finding Dolphin Browser won't play ball?

Don't have mine yet since I'm waiting on the Verizon version. As always, send the developer an email if you use an app and it ever has problems.

Off topic: The stock Galaxy Nexus browser is more advanced than the Dolphin browser, unless you're just hooked on the user interface of the Dolphin browser, you will get better performance and website compatibility out of the stock browser.

Reactions: celticfan32
Upvote 0
I don't know how anyone with out the phone could give the OP an accurate answer? It may be a ICS issue? I'm interested to know also...Anyone?

Side note to Hunta...

Have you tried Skyfire on the Nexus yet? I use it on my Razr ...its super fast! I'm curious to know how it runs on the Nexus.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the responses. I too got in touch with the support team and gave them as much info as I could. I couldn't establish a pattern as to what caused the crash, or even predict when. Hopefully with more input from others they'll have more to go on, and sounds like they may be getting somewhere if there's a beta around already.

Upvote 0
I don't know how anyone with out the phone could give the OP an accurate answer? It may be a ICS issue? I'm interested to know also...Anyone?

Side note to Hunta...

Have you tried Skyfire on the Nexus yet? I use it on my Razr ...its super fast! I'm curious to know how it runs on the Nexus.

I haven't tried Skyfire but might give it a go. Firefox is good, but I don't find ut as easy to use as Dolphin. I'm getting by ok with stock for now.

Upvote 0
I too am having issues with it. I've installed and uninstalled twice and because it was constantly freezing. After the second install it worked fine for a little while and then decided to crap-out again. I'm not a huge fan of the stock browser (though it works well), so I'm using Miren Browser until there is a resolution for the issue.

Upvote 0
Once the Dolphin browser is ICS-compatible, what would be the benefit of using it versus the stock browser?

For me, it's the lastpass plugin that's available for it. Without that, I have to manually enter login/pass for sites I visit in the stock browser from the lastpass app, which is a huge PITA. All my passwords are like 20-32 chars and randomly generated since I use lastpass, so I really can't get by without the lastpass plugin.

So hopefully they fix the dolphin hd issues. I have noticed it, too. It will work once or twice, but then when I open it, I get an all white screen and the soft-buttons are laggy. I hit home 2-3 times, then I finally get out of it. But it's definitely borked on ICS. :(

Upvote 0
Honestly dolphin is trash compared to this phones stock browser.

If trash consists of better functionality, gestures, shortcuts that create easier access to bookmarks and things, plus additional developer plugins than I guess you are right. I use both equally, but to call Dolphin trash seems to me you have never really used it and doesn't help us figure out the issue.

As for the topic, I am having the same issues on ICS. A reinstall gets it to play nice for the short term, but it eventually turns into a white screen. I emailed Devs last night as well. Hoping for a fix soon.

Reactions: Bonez
Upvote 0
just wanted to throw my hat in the ring in here - I'm using Dolphin Browser Mini - which I *love* - or should I say LOVED - for it's simple and fast yet feature rich interface.

but on my Gnex it just hangs... it will eventually load a page about 50% of the time but it takes a REALLY long time to do so even then.

a few observations:
- Dolphin Mini has (I think) no plug-ins - in any event, I'm not running any - so that's one less variable
- I've rooted and ROM'd my phone several times and so have been able to observe DB Mini under completely stock conditions as well as several other ROMs with the exact same results.
- obviously this means that I have installed it multiple times over the course of the last 2 weeks and the behavior is always the same.
- I'm NOT having any crashes or program hangs - the browser will hang when it's loading a page (sometimes indefinitely) but the program will still respond to input even in that state. this is a *performance* issue.
- the stock ICS browser and Boat Browser both work flawlessly - so it's not some sort of Flash issue or site-related problem etc.

anyway - it's too bad, I really liked the gestures interface, I had gotten pretty used to using it and I liked the way the back and forward buttons didn't take up any screen real-estate until you needed them... but I think from here on out I'm using Boat and the stock ICS browser.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones