• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone return an Evo because the bottom screen is separating

Just wanted to bump this thread. I'm going on EVO #6 and 3 of the six have had the problem of the bottom of the screen being so loose it clicks when you push on the home button etc. The other 2 returns were failure of the charging port and an eve that would restart itself over and over.

The question is though, do you have the insurance? through sprint or BestBuy?

I returned my Evo in December (first one) for the raised screen and broken charging port (yes it made an audible sound when you pushed on it, but if you pushed hard enough and held for 10-20 seconds it would stay down for at least a half an hour, or the next time it heated up. I was expecting at least the $35 fee, but got it for free.

The "Refurb" model they gave me (had to wait 2-3 days for one to come in, they were already on order), has a significant amount of dust under the screen (not visible when the backlight is on 25% brightness or higher), and light leak around all four sides (top only visible in a DARK room), but the charging port works, and I didn't have to pay anything. I've tried (without opening the phone) to blow the dust out or at least move it to a corner with no luck. I think this evo is a refurb broken screen that wasn't properly repaired. But it works and I can't see the dust when I'm using it (very surprised at that considering how much there is).

I did not get any ins on the phone, have not had it in a protector or holster or and other carrier. I just stick it in my pocket, I have dropped it maybe 3 times, never more than 2.5' and once on ceramic tile flooring, but 2 of those times were on the old one, and the one time with this refurb it landed flat on the battery cover.

If I had the ins I would have demanded another one when they gave me this one. The fact I did not notice the dust until I was halfway home also made that decision for me. Now having had my phone for almost a year (the refurb) I doubt there is much I could do without having the ins.

Upvote 0
Just got an Evo 4G from eBay, and noticed the same problem. The bottom left corner of the screen is slightly raised above the phone body and can be pressed in (and makes a slight sound).

Has anyone here, who has this problem, kept their phone despite this issue? Has it ended up gathering dust?

I'm asking because if this is the full extent of the problem, I'm willing to live with it. But long term, will it get worse and will other side effects appear?

Also, what can I do if I don't want to keep the phone? Since I bought it on my own from eBay (and now rooted it), Sprint and HTC won't do anything to help me, will they?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones