• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone tried Fring (or other VOIP) on UK networks?

cdl

Android Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2010
Hi all,

I understand a version of Fring is finally available for Android, and it should probably support skype out calls, too.

Has anyone tried it with UK networks? I heard some operators - unsuprinsignly! - block the ports used by VOIP programs.

So far I managed to use Fring on the 3 network just fine, to call both skype contacts and ordinary landlines through skype out.

Has anyone else tried with other operators?

Thanks!

I have tried fring but skype calls seem unstable, it cuts in and out. Ive also tried Nimbuzz which is better but it seems to have a higher level of compression and sometimes when the person at the other end pauses the line goes dead quiet which is quite distracting.

Really could do with a decent skype app, one thing I miss from my old iphone - although that was far from perfect, the call quality was good.

Instead I just use the skypeout number to call abroad.

ps. both were tested on a stable wifi connection.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Hi. Ive used the new Skype app, works ok but with the expected bit of lag. Im on uk tmobile and my friend i rang was on uk orange.

So you were using Skype via the mobile network not through a WiFi connection???

I've experienced a lag using JaJah - drove eithe me or the person I was calling CRAZY, made calls almost unbearable, and pushed me into Skype, which I've found perfect: no lag, fantastic voice quality.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones