• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

Hi, two questions regarding google chat:

1. when people send me a google chat message while I'm not logged in with Gmail: either when only GrooveIP is logged in, or when I'm completely offline but then login with GrooveIP later. This results in the chat message being directly placed into the archieve, but not showing up as "new mail" in Gmail. is there any way to fix this?

2. On a related note, is there any way to use "invisible" mode when logged in with GrooveIP, so people won't try to send me chat messages?

thanks

Upvote 0
Hi, two questions regarding google chat:

1. when people send me a google chat message while I'm not logged in with Gmail: either when only GrooveIP is logged in, or when I'm completely offline but then login with GrooveIP later. This results in the chat message being directly placed into the archieve, but not showing up as "new mail" in Gmail. is there any way to fix this?

2. On a related note, is there any way to use "invisible" mode when logged in with GrooveIP, so people won't try to send me chat messages?

thanks

#2 is on our list of things to investigate. Not sure what can be done about #1.

Upvote 0
I noticed that missed calls don't seem to generate a notice bar entry. Is it possible for that to be added. They do show in the call log but it's difficult to tell if you've missed a call without having to go through to that all the time.

HTC Thunderbolt

Yes that's something we plan on adding

Reactions: eskimobob
Upvote 0
Oops. Thought that's what you could change under "Google Talk Status", under Settings.

I believe that just changes your status for the Google Voice (Chat) portion that shows on the website. If you login to your gmail, halfway down the left column, you'll see your name under Chat, and you can click below that to set a custom status message.

I believe that is probably what it changes, nothing actually on your phone.

Reactions: Pinan
Upvote 0
I believe that just changes your status for the Google Voice (Chat) portion that shows on the website. If you login to your gmail, halfway down the left column, you'll see your name under Chat, and you can click below that to set a custom status message.

I believe that is probably what it changes, nothing actually on your phone.

Yes, this is correct.

Reactions: Pinan
Upvote 0
I noticed that missed calls don't seem to generate a notice bar entry. Is it possible for that to be added. They do show in the call log but it's difficult to tell if you've missed a call without having to go through to that all the time.

HTC Thunderbolt

Where would I find and edit the 'call log'?

And...

Any chance of a web version we could control via a desktop?

Upvote 0
For the most part it should work ok. It just reduces our priority. So if you pull up something that takes resources, android may kill our app. Which can cause the unregistered behavior.

I'm not so sure it is a task priority problem.. I tried setting the priority of com.gvoip to -20 (in a term emulator as root) and it still unregisters whenever I open google market while on 3g..

This doesn't happen when I'm connected to wifi.. Maybe the burst of data causes groove ip to drop its connection when on a slower speed network? I also notice even more unregisters when on edge, which would support the theory of groove ip registration getting wonky when connected at slower speeds..

Upvote 0
I'm not so sure it is a task priority problem.. I tried setting the priority of com.gvoip to -20 (in a term emulator as root) and it still unregisters whenever I open google market while on 3g..

This doesn't happen when I'm connected to wifi.. Maybe the burst of data causes groove ip to drop its connection when on a slower speed network? I also notice even more unregisters when on edge, which would support the theory of groove ip registration getting wonky when connected at slower speeds..

Yes, that could be the other reason for disconnection.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I've just purchased the app and it works great on outgoing but the incoming does not work unless I turn on my phone network and when I do receive call, looks like it is using my network minutes. I then turn my phone Droid X to airplane mode with wifi turned on but the phone won't ring. How do I know if the incoming call is not using my network minutes because it looks like it is. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I've just purchased the app and it works great on outgoing but the incoming does not work unless I turn on my phone network and when I do receive call, looks like it is using my network minutes. I then turn my phone Droid X to airplane mode with wifi turned on but the phone won't ring. How do I know if the incoming call is not using my network minutes because it looks like it is. Thanks.

Hi,

You need to go into your google voice account and change the call forwarding settings. You need to forward calls to google chat and not to your cell phone number.

Upvote 0
Version 1.1.5 is posted!

- Fix bluetooth state reseting when a call connected
- Enhancements to the contact menu
- Add a sign-in/sign-out menu
- Change the "always ask" option so that if app is not registered calls go through the mobile network
- Allow rotation to landscape (enable rotation from the miscellaneous menu)
- Display call time at hangup
- Enhance UI for tablets and large screens
- Add support for physical call/answer buttons
- New troubleshooting checkbox for tablets that can't play voice on their speakers

Upvote 0
I have two Nexus ones. Only one has a SIM card. Both are working phones and configured with the same google gmail account and google voice number. I only have one SIM card and the other phone doesn't get used very much any more. It was formally the phone that got used all the time before I purchased the newer phone.

I just installed groove IP and I am not making much progress getting it to work on either phone. I havent tried to receive a call yet. I started with dial out and I can't dial out on either Nexus One. I am trying to dial out with just WIFI. I have a strong wifi connection and I assume no port blockage since its just a home router with defaults. I get the green dot, I dial the number, and then the phone will either hang or ring one time and then hang. Then I get the red dot until I sign in to groove again. Even though I hear the Nexus ringing the the one time the dialed phone does not also ring.

I have tried shutting down one of the Nexus ones at a time, not sure if this is necessary, but it made no difference. I did this not knowing if it mattered if both phones could share the same account and GV number.

I would really like to be able to use this second Nexus One which has no SIM card for calling since I only have one carrier account. I hope you can help get this working.

Upvote 0
I finally got the app working earlier today and it really does work. I am having one problem. I cannot hear the other person through the ear piece. I did try one call where I turned up the speakerphone volume setting and I hear them just fine when I was on speaker, but I can't use speaker all the time. I wanted to know if you could help me please?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones