• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App or Web Site?

MoCoTerp

Jun 8, 2010
So I have loaded up with several apps like Endgadget, BankofAmerica, etc. instead of using their mobile website using my phone's web browser. In most cases, the app is alittle better but I was wondering how others feel about loading up on apps versus just using a browser version? Do you feel it clutters up the phone too much?

So I have loaded up with several apps like Endgadget, BankofAmerica, etc. instead of using their mobile website using my phone's web browser. In most cases, the app is alittle better but I was wondering how others feel about loading up on apps versus just using a browser version? Do you feel it clutters up the phone too much?

I like components. I like widgets that have their own specific tasks. I've got about 100 apps and that's AFTER trying to thin the herd. Maybe I'm the wrong guy to answer the question... :D

Upvote 0
Depends on how well the app is designed, and whether or not it actually offers all of the features available on the full site.

The whole reason I got an Android device was so that I could use full blown desktop websites on the go - mainly because the mobile versions, and, as I'm seeing now, Android apps for the sites, usually don't offer all of the features of the full site.

Of course, apps have the advantage of being touchscreen optimized, but once you have an accurate touchscreen (which is, sadly, difficult to find on Android) and a good browser, that advantages starts to shrink rapidly.

Personally, I try to keep as much as I can in the browser. In order for me to install them, apps need to offer functionality that's not implementable on the web...

Upvote 0
I was thinking there should be a list of apps that are basically just the mobile website, or in some cases not even as good. I've been going through a few and uninstalling the ones that I can just replace with a bookmark shortcut on my home screen. It saves space, and some apps (like Facebook) keep running in the background, no matter what settings you use.

Here's the ones I think the mobile website is just as good, if not better than the official app (there might be unofficial ones that are better though).

Facebook (I prefer the mobile site)
Twitter
LinkedIn
IMDb
Moviefone
Yelp

Upvote 0
Generally mobile app is supposed to offer some features that is not available from the mobile website. Then it make sense to use the app else a browser will do as fine. Features would be notification,camera and full screen rendering. Some mobile website UI are too small and zoom in distort the screen. Hence the mobile app is supposed to optimize this UI display over mobile website.

Conclusion: function and UI needs determine to use a mobile app or mobile website for me personally.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones