• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help App shortcut icons change back to the droid icon

I have two app shortcuts, ShopSavvy & Bookmarks, whose icons change back to the stock droid icon every now and then. I then have to drag the droid icons to the trash, and then re-create the shortcuts for those programs again, and then they show up with the actual app icon again. I'll usually notice this problem when I turn my phone on, and then see on the home screen that those icons have changed. Like I said, not every time, but every now and then, and only with these two app icons. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling both programs, but it keeps happening. Same apps are on my wife's Optimus V, and it never happens to her. Any idea what is causing this?

Are the apps saved to your SD card, if so, after turning the phone on, sometimes it takes a few minutes for the app to"reconnect".

IIRC, they are on my SD card. Next time it happens, I'll try and have a little more patience and wait a while to see what happens. Hopefully they will reconnect like you mentioned.

Upvote 0
I have 83 apps on my sdcard, and it can sometimes take 2+min for all my icons to appear. Our CPU has alot to do at start up, but once everything is initialized, android is pretty smooth.

There is a similar issue on windows, having a large amount of icons on your desktop slows down your PC's startup, and the system lags till they all appear often showing the hourglass or circle progress indicator in place of your mouse.

Upvote 0
I have 83 apps on my sdcard, and it can sometimes take 2+min for all my icons to appear. Our CPU has alot to do at start up, but once everything is initialized, android is pretty smooth.

There is a similar issue on windows, having a large amount of icons on your desktop slows down your PC's startup, and the system lags till they all appear often showing the hourglass or circle progress indicator in place of your mouse.

The icons on the desktop of windows PC has nothing to do with the slow down at start up it's the programs that are starting with windows.

Upvote 0
I checked, and both apps are on the SD card. When I turned on my phone this morning, both icons were showing as the droid icon. I left them that way for the next few hours, and they never did change to the proper respective app icon. For kicks, I moved both apps back to the phone memory, and the icons instantly changed from droid to the correct icon. Don't know what they means, maybe some problem with the SD card? I'll try moving them back to the card and see what happens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones