• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App storage space is apparently 1.96gb (Maybe not)

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
Update: Figures- maybe not. No offense to the guy at DroidForums, but either his device is messed up or he is not completely sure what he is looking at. When something as simple as storage allocations can not be reported back, you know there IS a problem with a device.

Maybe "Blunderbolt" is a better name.

Old post

Not too bad, since most big apps dump data to the sd card anyway. This should mean from the balance of the 8gb internal, about 5.42gb should be free for media storage. Plenty of room for photos and game roms :)

-can't see the video b/c of work firewall-

wasn't the Wirefly video a class4?

(if that video up there is Wirefly, then...shut up--i can't see it :) )

It's Wirefly, but that sure looks like a 2 to me.

Edit : nevermind, I'm apparently wrong. Wirefly said it's class 4. That might be adequate for 720, depending on how it's encoded.

Upvote 0
Only 1.96GB? I am pretty disappointed by that. My Droid X has around 7GB of app storage. I was expecting future next gen phones to have at least that much. I don't want to have to use my SD card(Yes I have a 32GB) for apps when I have tons of music that needs to go on there.

Upvote 0
Not so sure now. The guy that has one appears to have altered what the 1.96gb really is. Out of box or after he loaded a ton of apps, or is the mapping currently messed up.

More importantly, does he know what he is looking at?

Not surprising. Even something as dead-simple as app storage is not clear. Fitting.

Upvote 0
Update: Figures- maybe not. No offense to the guy at DroidForums, but either his device is messed up or he is not completely sure what he is looking at. When something as simple as storage allocations can not be reported back, you know there IS a problem with a device.

Maybe "Blunderbolt" is a better name.

Old post

Not too bad, since most big apps dump data to the sd card anyway. This should mean from the balance of the 8gb internal, about 5.42gb should be free for media storage. Plenty of room for photos and game roms :)

HTC Incredible is limited to only 150MB of storage for app data. Thats a joke. On iPhone or iPad, app usage is measured in gigabytes. Who needs media storage anyway if you have a fast network connection and can stream music and videos. Apps is what you need. 150MB is a joke only acceptable to people who never use their phone as a smart phone. I wouldn't be surprised if the Thunderbolt has a similarly silly limit on app space.

Upvote 0
HTC Incredible is limited to only 150MB of storage for app data. Thats a joke. On iPhone or iPad, app usage is measured in gigabytes. Who needs media storage anyway if you have a fast network connection and can stream music and videos. Apps is what you need. 150MB is a joke only acceptable to people who never use their phone as a smart phone. I wouldn't be surprised if the Thunderbolt has a similarly silly limit on app space.

Two different things, but for the Inc- mutually inclusive.

The Inc has a weird constraint with the data/data folder. Depending on how big the operational data of an app is, the folder fills up. Most apps have 20K or lower data files, but some like Tyrinian insanley store megs of data there, rather than the SD card. Puls is another app that can get carried away.

This issue is why some folks would run out of space, even with 500mb still free in device app space on the Inc. Terrible miss by HTC that WAS NEVER FIXED BY HTC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones