• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple vs. Google, a good read

Gotcha. But mobile phones replacing laptops? Still face both of those gigantic barriers. Laptops are fan cooled, and laptops still can't equal the power of a desktop

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.
i totally agree there are alot of barriers. i'm just looking to the future expectantly the EVO is a huge jump in mobile tech some might say a springboard or foundation for future ground work

Upvote 0
Gotcha. But mobile phones replacing laptops? Still face both of those gigantic barriers. Laptops are fan cooled, and laptops still can't equal the power of a desktop
I have to agree, but then I remember when they said Mainframes would become extinct too. We are still running 90% of our business on Mainframes, really big ones :D

For what it is worth though, my new Acer "Desktop" is about 1/5 the size of the laptop it replaced. I don't expect to buy another laptop, just plan to go with a Dell Streak and my micro tower for now :cool:

I can see a day when traditional PCs are history, replaced with Tablets and mobile devices that might connect to a wifi station with a attached printer, etc.

Upvote 0
first of all you are being narrow minded if you look at home much things have advanced in the last 10 years you will see that my statement holds plenty of water.Second the hdd space may or may not get there but it could easily get close solid state drives are getting better and smaller every day and Third the cellphone as with many other devices is already starting to take that the desktop out of play (did you read the article) no it will not replace it (yet) but for a majority of the populace we are already stepping away from the monolith that is the desktop and looking for more mobile options. In 10 years hand held devices such as cellphones and things like the ipad will not only be the norm but rival most desktops.

In 10 years, I agree (That was my estimate, not yours). It will absolutely not rival desktops until voice recognition technology is ready for prime time.

Without a keyboard that we can use to actually accomplish work, they will have nothing on Desktops.

but at the same time desktops will be advancing so why you as will it have a chance in rivaling it. well the answer is simple the idea of a desktop that doesn't move that you come home to and play games on or use for other things like web and human interfacing is already becoming an archaic idea in most mindsets. if it wasn't your droid wouldn't be what it was and macs sales in there desktops wouldn't be trumped by the ipod and other portable systems.

Macs are underpowered and overpriced when it comes to desktops. It's easy to see why people would leave them for iPads/iPhones/iTouchs. However, you cannot really perform work on an iPad. You cannot create a presentation. You cannot code for a website. Until this changes, they cannot rival a desktop, or make them obsolete.

yes there will always be a more powerfull liquid cooled monolith but fewer people every day are buying desktops. they have gone from 3 to a house to 1.5 units per home this is a significant thing (can't find the stats to back that up right now it was in another news week article) .but the point is yest in terms of power (not space) which was what i was getting at yes they will easily rival a desktop. and be far more portable and available for the average consumer. As to the the rest of the power users no it will not replace the sli powerhouse or it's progenitors for things like running our new games or the latest bit of coding or video editing software but most people simply won't need it.

2 problems with this statement.

1) Generic desktops (not liquid cooled versions) will always be far ahead of mobile. Why? Because if it's cheap enough to miniaturize and put in a cellphone, they can put a more powerful full version in a desktop. 2GHz processor for cellphones. Every advance in mobile technology automatically advances the desktop technology ahead by 2 to 3 times as much.

2) It's not just power users. Desktops are the ONLY (aside from laptops) devices on which we can accomplish work at this point. Until that changes, they will NOT rival desktops.

Upvote 0
If by blame you mean give them 529$ for a new phone.. alright XD.

My impression just died.. I will have 600$ after next week.. the only question is will my parents pay for the 25$ a month for data.

Seriously? I don't mean to sound like an old man, and I'm not, but you have $600 to your name and you're going spend it all on a phone? And then hope Dad pays the monthly bill?

Just trying to understand the mentality of "kids" with nice smartphones, I see them all over the place.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that smartphones are the future (and the now for some), it's just that they are still kinda expensive along with the monthly plan.

Upvote 0
You guys all forget one thing... Cloud computing.

Everything I do now is pretty much in a cloud; web-based apps.

The only thing that I can't do now is high-end video, high-end imaging or anything that requires pushing gigabytes/terabytes of data over a network.

MS Office is web enabled.

Heck,I use my phone for pretty everything because all I need is console access.

Upvote 0
You guys all forget one thing... Cloud computing.

Everything I do now is pretty much in a cloud; web-based apps.

The only thing that I can't do now is high-end video, high-end imaging or anything that requires pushing gigabytes/terabytes of data over a network.

MS Office is web enabled.

Heck,I use my phone for pretty everything because all I need is console access.

Because we all know cloud computing is sooo reliable. Then there's that group of people who will never trust the cloud at all, and then people who won't trust the cloud for importants stuff(like me)

Upvote 0
Because we all know cloud computing is sooo reliable. Then there's that group of people who will never trust the cloud at all, and then people who won't trust the cloud for importants stuff(like me)

I'm not talking about the free, public cloud based apps.

Corporations have in-house applications that are web-based. Mercedes will be using Apple tablets in their dealerships now. We use "internally developed" web-base apps for a majority of the things we do. Companies are moving to centralized client-server applications. Easier to manage. That is why Chrome OS is compelling to many people.

Upvote 0
I'm not talking about the free, public cloud based apps.

Corporations have in-house applications that are web-based. Mercedes will be using Apple tablets in their dealerships now. We use "internally developed" web-base apps for a majority of the things we do. Companies are moving to centralized client-server applications. Easier to manage. That is why Chrome OS is compelling to many people.

I've worked for a variety of different companies and government agencies, and most companies have very few web based apps.

The cloud will be big someday, we just aren't there yet.

Upvote 0
The one thing I really disagree with is ipads replacing desktops.. I do know he is talking about in the future.. but, lets be real..

There is more to computing than pictures, videos, and music.
agree 100%....can't imagine trying to use an ipad for serious computing on the road...great toy to play with but I prefer my thinkpad for the serious stuff as I type hundreds of emails every week as well as use lots of adobe software for graphics, etc and at under 5 pounds I can deal with the weight as I don't need a desktop but need more than a toy for play!

Upvote 0
Google kinda is Big Brother. Before you look at my post to follow and say GOOGLE HATER, let me point out that I am using Google and vastly prefer it to Apple. I loathe closed systems the same way I don't like to sit on a couch that's covered in a protective plastic coat. I have a Droid, and I'm probably going to stick with Android for quite some time. That being said, I use Google and Google's cloud with the full knowledge that the information I give to them is just that, given to them for whatever use they decide to find for it in the future, altruistic or nefarious. The lack of privacy Google affords people is horrifying to many....hmmm...let's just call them more security minded individuals. We are talking about the company that developed the Neverending Cookie. No matter what the intentions you or Google has at the moment, when you give them your search strings and personal information and online and mobile activity, that information is in Google's control. The decentralized nature of the Internet means that once your information is on the Net, no matter how firewalled it might be, there exists the distinct possibility that you may never be able to get that information off the Internet again. (For a related, though not exact example of this, think of how impossible it is for many to get rid of embarrassing pictures they may have posted in an liquor-enabled moment.) This applies to cloud computing in general. I quite liked this article Gartner: Seven cloud-computing security risks | Security Central - InfoWorld for a brief overview of some of the security risks inherent in cloud computing.

I'm not saying that this technology won't or even that it shouldn't spread. I just advocate knowing the risks to what you are doing with things like Google and the Clouds. Maybe something like an Internet Ed class would be helpful as our society struggles to catch up to technology. (I can just see it now; instead of being forced to watch the car crash videos of Driver's Ed, painfully bored students watch as someone's entire personal and professional life comes crashing down around them due to internet identity theft and ill-conceived uploading of damning documents.) Does this stop me from using Google? Not at all, but I use it reminding myself every day of exactly what I am allowing Google to access about my life and interests. Basically I surf, text, and upload documents with the belief that at any moment all of those could get splattered over the internet or used by Google in some way I don't want. Google on a fundamental level terrifies me. It's efficient, easy to use, and ubiquitous. It also controls information and access to it. That's the kind of power that can shape people's thinking, create and destroy businesses, influence the way the world sees core issues in ways so subtle it would be massively difficult to notice much less prove. My example: type Google Monopoly into your little google search box. The first three results are from a year ago dealing with Google's online Monopoly game. It's not until the 3rd search result, which is more recent than the first three , that you see anything about the possibility of Google *being* a monopoly. Probably that is nothing, just chance, but it could just as easily be a decision to quietly move that information down to make access to it just a leetle bit less desirable. Typing in Google Big Brother suggests that this particular scenario is not the case, but a little shift here or there in their corporate policy and it easily could be. If it does, it will be because we let it happen.
*Steps off soapbox, removes tinfoil*

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones