• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Apps broken on Velocity 1.1? Try This!

I edit my build.prop and changed the ro value from 10 to an 8. It fixed Pandora, Maps, the new market etc.... but here's the kicker, that was 4 days ago, guess what? I'm getting the stupid Maps force close again at all sorts of random times usually very far apart. Like when I wake the phone from sleep, when I'm downloading something from market, when I'm reading a text message, or when a call comes in.... It's stupid I know but what else in the build.prop might need changing to fix this??

That's very odd that Maps is still force closing. I used it this afternoon without fail. Also, I've been running Pandora v1.5 for the past hour without any problems.

Upvote 0
I edit my build.prop and changed the ro value from 10 to an 8. It fixed Pandora, Maps, the new market etc.... but here's the kicker, that was 4 days ago, guess what? I'm getting the stupid Maps force close again at all sorts of random times usually very far apart. Like when I wake the phone from sleep, when I'm downloading something from market, when I'm reading a text message, or when a call comes in.... It's stupid I know but what else in the build.prop might need changing to fix this??

Looking at your post, did you just manually edit the build.prop or did you use the patch?
I don't know if anything besides editing the build.prop was done with the patch, but you should try it following the instructions in the OP. I haven't experienced one FC since applying it.
You might want to try running fix file system permissions from recovery or ROM Manager, that will sometimes fix FC problems.

Upvote 0
Looking at your post, did you just manually edit the build.prop or did you use the patch?
I don't know if anything besides editing the build.prop was done with the patch, but you should try it following the instructions in the OP. I haven't experienced one FC since applying it.
You might want to try running fix file system permissions from recovery or ROM Manager, that will sometimes fix FC problems.

I manually edited it. That was the only line I changed. It worked great for about 4 days then maps started up again. Also the new market, while being easier to use, has started to be a pain to load - it loads but some of the panes are just black squares and is SLOW in loading and some files while updating will "hang" and not finish downloading (get's to about 45%)..Not too bad, just a royal pain in the butt...

Upvote 0
I manually edited it. That was the only line I changed. It worked great for about 4 days then maps started up again. Also the new market, while being easier to use, has started to be a pain to load - it loads but some of the panes are just black squares and is SLOW in loading and some files while updating will "hang" and not finish downloading (get's to about 45%)..Not too bad, just a royal pain in the butt...

I have run fix permissions from recovery (lasted about half the day), I have cleared the cache and Dalvik-cache (seemed to work longer I think), and have pulled the battery as well... After I had edited the build-prop it worked great for about 4 days before maps started again. Now I did updated some programs through market, and installed a couple of new ones, neither of which should effect the build-prop. I've gone ahead and wiped the cache and dalvik again if this doesn't work then I will flash the fix and hope it works - I looked at the fix and there are a few other files there besides the build-prop. I might look at the build-prop and see if anything else was changed... (I'm just nosy that way)

Upvote 0
I looked at the fix and there are a few other files there besides the build-prop. I might look at the build-prop and see if anything else was changed... (I'm just nosy that way)
Nah, nothing else. Just changing that line to 8. The "other files" you are talking about are the signed files and the updater-script.

Upvote 0
Nah, nothing else. Just changing that line to 8. The "other files" you are talking about are the signed files and the updater-script.

Well went ahead and flashed it from recovery, still have maps force closing, got the ota update notice back, and now everything installed on the SD card won't load or show (however pics and data are still there - just the installed apps). Well guess I'll be re-wiping everything a few times, pulling the battery, and reflashing velocity.....oh well it ain't nothing but a few hours of time... LOL

Upvote 0
So I wipe cache and dalvik-cache then i flash the zip from the folder i put it from recovery mode on my phone? if this is how to do it. please tell me. i dont wanna F up anything lmao.

EDIT* i wiped as you said then it started to bootloop and i took out the battery put it in bootlooped for awhile left it bootlooping then i installed new market and still forcecloses :[

EDit* nvm its working. but when i reboot it doesnt make that vibrate thing in the velocity part..

Upvote 0
Everyone update your scripts! Thank you for including the fix in the recent update :)

I laugh... i updated the scripts.... rebooted... logged into the homescreen and...... popup notification.... (android market force close)

LIKE WTF MATE! lol (not you radiowackoman) lol

And android market still doesnt work (keeps force closing )

So that means that I cant update to the newest Pandora version and test if it works and I can redownload Maps to see if that works.....

so i guess I will never find out if it works lol (initial thoughts are that it doesn't work for me :( )

Upvote 0
I laugh... i updated the scripts.... rebooted... logged into the homescreen and...... popup notification.... (android market force close)

So that means that I cant update to the newest Pandora version and test if it works and I can redownload Maps to see if that works.....

so i guess I will never find out if it works lol (initial thoughts are that it doesn't work for me :( )

Sorry it didn't work for you...
Try flashing the package? All the others can't be lying...

Upvote 0

I had the same thing happen when I flashed the zip to fix the build. Luckily I had a backup of market to go to. I had to go back and rewipe everything (I did it three times to make sure everything was gone pulling the battery as well after each) Reinstalled Velocity1.1, updated scripts, reinstalled everything from Titanium, then edited my build manually. Haven't had any problems since. It could just be something sticking that stubborn to get rid of.....

Upvote 0
Unless you installed the new market with adb install -r then you will probably need to wipe dalvik cache to avoid force closes on the new market. Also the build.prop changes always require a reboot to make changes as the file is read during init, to verify the changes where made.

Code:
getprop ro.build.version.sdk

In a rooted terminal, this will display 8 if the change was successful

It is *possible* that even wiping dalvik will not fix force close in market, if this is the case you may need to remove the data (databases and whatnot) from the market, you can do this from the Manage Applications menu in settings, or in a rooted terminal

Code:
rm -r /data/data/*ending*

As for other apps force closing (after the build.prop change) please test wiping your dalvik cache, and if you still have problems let me know as I am trying to root out stability issues.

Upvote 0
As for other apps force closing (after the build.prop change) please test wiping your dalvik cache, and if you still have problems let me know as I am trying to root out stability issues.

Things have been working fine for me, I'm glad to see some of the original Velocity 1.1 developers still interested in making it the best it can be, and just wanted to say thanks.

Upvote 0
Sorry it didn't work for you...
Try flashing the package? All the others can't be lying...

Well.... It works now... lol

Sorry.... hope you didnt take offense to it.

I think the issue was that I update scripts then I rebooted from within the terminal... being linux and all lol

It didnt work after that. However, i did a normal reboot and it worked after that. So I think you just have to restart using the normal reboot method using the power button. that's all.

Appreciate the help and the scripts! :) It works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones