• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

apps starting automatically on htc desire

strophurus

Lurker
Jul 21, 2010
Hello I have just got a HTC desire recently and am astonished at how short the battery life is. I downloaded the app killer and put the widget on my desktop. When I press it it shows me what apps are running. I clear them all but within minutes of me not touching ny phone they all are running again 8 in total I believe. Amongst the apps are Flickr, peep, footprints.... how do i stop this?

Thanks.

Apps like that will run trust me remove the task killer, if you use a friend stream widget peep will run as it is linked into the program. The only apps you need to worry about are those that you find here:

Settings>Applications>Running Services it is these apps that are using your battery and CPU/Memory and the ones you should be concerned about as they have been coded with a high priority for system resource use. Remove your app killer and open your non native/non google apps (aka the ones you have downloaded from the market and you must also remove any home screen widgets as this will continue to keep the app open regardless) and return to your home screen via the back key. Then open the running services window as mentioned above. Any apps showing here are using system resources when they should not and are badly coded so as not to return to a low priority state in the background. These apps should be removed.

This test should be done for every app you download so as to ensure the system can manage the memory properly without some misguided line of code that maintains cpu/memory/battery usage when it is not required.

App Killers go to great lengths to show you all apps regardless of their current state as Background/Low Priority or constantly on high priority coded apps and it will not differentiate the two whereas Android can and will manage resources appropriately on the fly.

Reactions: Rushey
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones