• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps you can't live without

For threads like this, I sit at my computer and search google with this string:

site:androlib.com "splashid"

Then use the barcode scanner app to read the QR Code on the result on the Droid.

Yes, I could do it all on the droid, but I find it faster this way when I'm going to install and test 20, 30 apps at a time. Hope that helps :)

Smooth, QR codes are the cats meow

Upvote 0
Be careful. I have run into a couple of apps that are listed on Androlib that are not in the Market, and vice versa (not really a major problem considering the number of apps out there, but it can happen).

Also, Androlib seems to be a bit behind the the version number.

Finally, Androlib does not support Google Search options - AM does: Google search - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If anyone know of a Fx extension for PCs that will display the QR Code right in the Google Search, that would be awesome....

i have also found some apps not in one, but in the other, and vice versa. i wonder why that is - if androlib is off, or if the API/XML from the market is behind.

as for version numbers behind, as long as it exists in androlib that's fine for me, because the QR takes me to the market screen, which is the most recent version.

i use the google search box in firefox, so androlib not supporting google search doesn't matter much to me, because i'm coming directly from google using the site: operator and i can use google commands there.

but, question for you - i feel like i'm doing something wrong, because i dont' see a search in AM anywhere. i'm at android.com/market and im setting featured, top paid, top free on the left. but i can't for the life of me find a search. am i blind? i feel stupid. is adblock blocking the search box on me?

Upvote 0
I guess many people use their phones differently, so they are in need of different apps.

As for me, I probably use maps, internet, and maybe weather a little. Don't need a lot of crazy apps. Here's my list

1. Dolphin Browser - much better UI than OS version. Pinch + Zoom plus better bookmarks system. Switching between tabs is a breeze.
2. Pandora - Use if often when in the car.
3. Cardiotrainer - Don't use it often, but kinda cool to use it the rare times I work out.
4. Nav Launcher - This makes using google navi 100x better. It's how google navi should've been. This is the missing link.
5. Google voice - Only because there are certain people that I need to give a different # to. It also transcribes your voice messages :)

As for widgets, I only use two that are a must.
1. Weather forecast - Only app I paid for because I found this to be the best weather widget for my needs.
2. Battery Status Free - Only reason why I choose this one is because if I click on the battery a list of shortcuts for wifi, gps, 3g, screen/sound and battery status comes up. Very useful at times.

Hope your search for the best apps goes well bud. Many many many many many more apps to come soon. So stay tuned :) These lists will all change by next year.

Upvote 0
SportsTap
Missed Call
(changing vibrate patterns and led colors for certain people or silencing them with sms so i don't waste my time taking my phone out ;) )
Google Voice
Beautiful Widgets
- Very much worth the 1.99 euro's...like $2.50ish (hurry before the dollar becomes more useless)
Pandora
ASTRO
- File manager
Meebo IM - cleanest IM client around.
TasKiller
Movies

Upvote 0
What I would Like to see come out is an app for Video Recording for the Motorola Droid That would be spectacular REALLY!!!

blank_facepalm_224.gif

Upvote 0
I love Locale. It allows you to control settings of your phone based on: GPS location, time of day, calendar, contacts, etc. Seems to really help conserve battery power, as with "situations" you define, you can shut down Bluetooth, Wifi, turn off ringer, dim screen etc. I have situations for work and home time slots, both of which have wi-fi on and Bluetooth off. Then I have mobile time slots established where I do the opposite; Bluetooth on (in the car) and wi-fi off so that it's not constantly searching for signal. Helps alot!

+1

Upvote 0
My top apps right now:

1. Apps Organizer (Fabio Collini) - Fantastic!
2. CalWidget
3. Calorie Counter by Fatsecret - If you're dieting, this is it!
4. Movies (Flixter, Inc)
5. Listen (Google, Inc)
6. Battery Widget (mippin.com)
7. Task Manager
8. fring - use Skype to call landlines
9. Stocks (Dato)
10. The Weather Channel

Upvote 0
4. Nav Launcher - This makes using google navi 100x better. It's how google navi should've been. This is the missing link.

thanks for this great find!

borderless, apps organizer is much more customizable than the default folders concept. you can customize the folder icons, which is a huge deal for me, and inside the apps organizer program it's very easy to label things and visually keep your apps organized. plus apps can have multiple labels, if you're into that sort of thing.

but mostly i like how it's a one-stop place for all my app organization, instead of having to open every folder to see what's in them, and god forbid i download 20 apps at once i have no easy way to see what's organized and what's not (using the default home/folder organization). with apps organizer there's an obvious "unsorted" area at the bottom.

Upvote 0
My recommendations:

CalWidget - this is much better than the default calendar widget. The default calendar widget did not show events I had as "All day" events. Plus, CalWidget has a ton of customizable features.

Places Directory - I don't really use this app that much, but I think the idea is awesome. Lets you scan for nearby restaurants, see info about them, and dial them right from the list.

Can someone please explain to me why Handcent is so much better than the default contact app? It might be because I am coming from a "dumb phone", but the default app does everything I need it to do when I am texting someone.

Upvote 0
On my Moto a855 "Droid" , Firmware 2.0, Kernel 2.6.29-omap1 -g04df51f, android build @apa26#477

Home++
WeatherChannel widget
Volume Control
Google Maps (native)
GDocs (native)
Contacts (native)
Dolphin
Music (native)
Beamreader
Handcent
Barcodescanner

cool, but not used constantly:
On the Level2 - beautiful display
MyTracks
Bubble
mototorch
Konverter
Audalyzer
Shop Savvy

Upvote 0
Thats called tethering, and if companies catch ya doin that unsubscribed, your looking at a big bill.

Well then I will be calling out verizon cause I've got 2 different agents from customer service on recording that confirmed that I have unlimited data usage. I asked them specifically if it didnt matter how much data I used and they said nope, it doesn't matter its unlimited and didn't say anything about tethering or anything else. So, if I am faced with any bill other than the data plan that I'm subscribed to, well then they will be hearing from me. :)

Upvote 0
Well then I will be calling out verizon cause I've got 2 different agents from customer service on recording that confirmed that I have unlimited data usage. I asked them specifically if it didnt matter how much data I used and they said nope, it doesn't matter its unlimited and didn't say anything about tethering or anything else. So, if I am faced with any bill other than the data plan that I'm subscribed to, well then they will be hearing from me. :)

Tetherin is considered seperate from unlimited data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones