• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Arc slow startup

LD88

Jun 13, 2011
I currently have an SE Arc, and have found that around half the time, the phone boots up "normally" within about 30-40 seconds, and other times it can take up to three minutes - just sticking on the 'Sony Ericsson' message at startup, before displaying the SE logo and booting up.

I was wondering if this might be a problem with this particular phone or if it is common to the Arc. Waiting three minutes for the phone to load seems like a ridiculous time to wait.

I don't have any apps on the phone as I've just performed a full factory reset, which hasn't helped.

Thanks for any help.

Hmmm... I have noticed that it boots faster when it's plugged into a charger - i think it 'half boots' up when it's connected, so that when you switch it on it doesnt have quite so far to go.

I assume youre switching it off to save battery. Might be easier to install an airplane mode widget (of which there are many, or use something like widgetsoid) and put the phone into airplane mode when youre not using it or dont have signal: quicker, easier, and battery drain would be negligible.

Upvote 0
I had problems with a memory card which caused the 3-4 minute boot time. Sometimes it happens even with the 2.3.3 update, so I am not sure that's even relevant.

Take the memory card and try booting then... is it really quick?

I am not sure what is causing the delays, as if it was down to loading apps in the background, it would always be around the same speed. It is something that needs some investigating and experimenting.

The phone does also, I've noticed, like to reboot when it is sitting around doing nothing. You won't always notice this, obviously, but it is like SE devices of old that do things silently - skipping even the SIM PIN entry screen so it's back the standby screen. The only time you might notice is if the crash logger itself fails.

I wonder if this background task is perhaps to blame for a number of things?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure whether you had problems every time when you had a memory card inserted? I find mine only take the 3-4 minutes to load about 25% of the time - other times it loads fine.

I have tried it with and without a memory card before and it didn't really seem to make a difference, as it loaded fine most of the times.

One thing that I have noticed, every time I charge the phone when it is off, when it's switched back on, it take ages to load... maybe it's not recognising the amount of power in the battery or something?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones