• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Are all micro USB cables not created equally?

I had a wall charger from my Plantronics bluetooth headset and tried to use it with my Evo. No luck. The orange charging light would come on for few seconds and then go out. I would unplug it, plug it back in, and the same thing would happen. I'm now leery of buying data cables or chargers from ebay. I just don't know which ones will work and which won't.

Upvote 0
I found a micro USB cable laying around the house from a previous phone and decided to take it to work for charging the evo. Well, I can transfer files to and from the phone perfectly fine, but it doesn't seem to charge it. Any ideas as to what is going on?
I have the same problem with several micro usb cables I bought on ebay. Some charge, some don't. Interestingly enough, they all worked just fine before I upgraded to froyo.

Upvote 0
I had a wall charger from my Plantronics bluetooth headset and tried to use it with my Evo. No luck. The orange charging light would come on for few seconds and then go out. I would unplug it, plug it back in, and the same thing would happen. I'm now leery of buying data cables or chargers from ebay. I just don't know which ones will work and which won't.

The amperage was likely too low. Most BT headsets only have ~.2A chargers.

Upvote 0
I am new to the Droid but a cable is a cable is a cable. Get them from monoprice.

Well, I bought THREE of these for $6.94 SHIPPED:

For only $1.16 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 6ft | USB 2.0 Cables - Micro-B Type

The cables are much thicker/sturdier/well constructed than even the cable HTC included with the phone! I am so satisfied. My only regret is that I waited this long in my life to buy cables from monoprice. Never again will I buy any cables of any kind from anyone else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones