• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are pdfs just that way?

I noticed that epubs go the right way, left to right, at least usually, but pdfs are vertical. At first I thought maybe it was the phone and I checked it out with the Blu instead of the Pure. It's still the same problem. Maybe it's because of ReadEra? I don't want to have to get a bunch of apps to read the right way. Is there somehow a possibility of getting pdfs to go left to right? I can't find it in ReadEra settings.

You mean that this app only displays pdfs in landscape orientation? Does this depend on the document? If the page format is landscape then displaying it as portrait on a small device won't be useful, but most PDFs are portrait oriented anyway.

I'm sure this is the specific app you are using, since almost all of the apps on my phone that can read pdfs allow me to view them in either orientation. The one exception is Moon+, which is a eBook reader, and if I try to open a pdf with it that always displays in portrait mode (even a set of slides which have a landscape orientation!). So if your files have landscape oriented pages your app may just be respecting their format. If some are portrait oriented but it still forces landscape mode then unless you can find a setting you may need a different app.

Upvote 0
I think OP means that turning pages on a PDF isn't the same gesture as turning pages on an ebook. On the Aldiko app I use, if opening an epub book, swiping left/right turns pages, but on any PDF in the same reader, you scroll vertically to go page to page. I admit it's visually jarring, but it's been that way since Acrobat Reader 3.x on Windows 3.x.

Reactions: Dave012345678910
Upvote 0
It wouldn't matter which app you use, that's just how PDF's work. For real fun, try printing a page of one. A lot of times we get all of the pages instead of one since print preview doesn't know where one page ends and another begins, or we get parts of pages cut off. Real joy at work!

It's one of the reasons my shop is low-tech, and all service manuals hard copies, with extremely few exceptions.

Upvote 0
I say that about a lot of things, such as streaming services, preferring my collection of DVDs, Blu-Rays, and VHS tapes over paying multiple subscriptions to 'have it all' and end up paying more than a monthly cable price in the end, but people just look at me like I got two heads.

But the reality is the first severe thunderstorm hits, knocks out their internet, and they're sitting staring at a black box while I can still enjoy a movie on VHS or a TV series on DVD.

I also make sure my offline library extends to my phones and tablets and laptops. I got one Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (2012) filled with my entire Amazon book library. No wifi needed. Original, factory loaded app too. No forced updates or DRM.

My phone has 2K of MP3s on it. Don't need to rely entirely on streaming.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones