• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are you using the multi touch keyboard or Swype?

tried swype; too hard to get used to. fingers don't always glide on the screen.
tried smart keyboard (not pro). it doesn't have the word suggestions.

i like the MT keyboard most but the space bar is too short and i hit the full stop a lot more than i care to. guess muscle memory will "fix" this lol.

Smart Keyboard Pro has a wider space bar. And Pro has suggestions, and a lot of options (though not many skins). I would try the pro, if you don't like it, you have 24 hours for a refund. :D

Upvote 0
Multi-touch....came from the iPhone and it's all I've known for 3 years. In fact, I wasn't gonna get an Android unless it had multi-touch features and the X came out at the right time.

I can't get the hang of Swype and don't really have the desire to take the time to

Take the time it takes about 2 inures and its amazing. Just don't try to hard to actually hit the keys, just get close it'll figure out the rest.

Upvote 0
I prefer the multi touch keyboard to all keyboards available for Android including the Swype keyboard. I'm a long time Swype user(used it for 4 months on my Nexus One, one month on my Incredible) but have grown a bit annoyed by some of the quirks.

1. I'm drawing a blank for examples but far too often have I drawn a path for an extremely common word and the program would place a much more rare word down that uses the same trace path instead. It doesn't learn which word you prefer either. Over the months the same words would always fail to Swype and I just couldn't take it anymore.

2. When you actually have to type out a word instead of swiping on it, the keyboard layout and button size is horrible for doing so.

3. Depending on how clean the screen and your fingers are, you can be met with a ton of resistance when you try to Swype(grease/fingerprints make swyping much smoother).

Upvote 0
I started out using Swype, had only heard/read great things about it, but it just isn't for me. I gave it a day or so and just thought I was putting more effort into sliding to the correct keys and half the time it didn't guess what I intended to type, especially with words not in it's dictionary.

So, I moved on to the Multi Touch keyboard, and it is pretty solid. The space bar irritated me as I would press it but it didn't work so I would be typing two words without a space. Other than that, it is a very well-done keyboard, props to Motorola.

I then started to use SwiftKey Beta, and it is amazing! The predictive text is right most of the time after just a few letters, and the more I use it the better it gets. Once the word I want is one of the three selections above the keyboard, I select it and it automatically adds a space and capitalizes things that should be. It even predicts when you want to use a period, which saves even more time.

So after a few days with my X, I will be sticking with SwiftKey for the time being. I may give Swype another try in the future, but I don't see myself leaving SwiftKey for very long.

Upvote 0
I LOVE both Swype and Multitouch. I think Swype is perfect for one-handed typing in portrait mode and Multitouch is just unbeatable in terms of sheer speed in landscape mode. If only I could have both - Swype in portrait and MT in landscape, I could die happy. Sigh.

+1

I am really looking forward to trying out blind type when it is released.

This week I have switched back to swype, I like to keep changing, both are great keyboards to me.

What is blind type?

I switch between swiftkey, swype, and multitouch. I really like swiftkey but it annoys me sometimes. I like swype for portrait and if the space bar was in the middle on landscape i would use it all the time.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones