• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Aspect Ratio. Did you adjust?

D

Deleted User

I now have a 20:9 screen on my new Xiaomi.

Sony, and others I know have 21:9 screens. 18:9 was my previous device. Most of us started on 16:9 devices.

On the one hand it's nice to grip and hold.(meh? .... congratulate me on the pun anyway)

On the other hand, some apps don't fit, ie pieces, category lines / options or tick boxes are missing. Color Note and some hotel and train apps for example. There was an initial setting that warned some apps may display incorrectly but I think I traced and corrected that. These apps may adjust as I use it more.

On the third hand I now have my largest ever screen at 6.57" diagonally, but it seems smaller than the 18:9 / 6.0" Nokia I still have and am using now.

I don't game but tried one (RR3), and also some video that filled the screen impressively in landscape, but most video does not and if I want an immersive wide screen experience a cinema will do nicely.

Like the higher ratio screen you have now, or dislike?

-----------

OT -

Mi 10 Lite my initial review :

I'm mightily impressed with the Xiaomi Mi 10 Lite 5G. Great polished software (really) with nice over screen features, enough storage at 64gb, really! Had the latest MIUI 12** UI download within a day.

Lovely classy Amoled screen; though there's too many colour adjustment options atm :p

Surprisingly quicker SD765G soc in every day use.
Nice upscale feel, weight and balance despite comparatively lesser material on the back than the full flagship versions.

I'm not getting 5G anywhere on my carrier. I should have looked in to it more. I knew though I'm ripe for a change to a better though less generous network (EE)

UI displayed speeds on the notification bar are very low, in the 0 - 300 kbps range, though I think speed is generally the same as my 4G phone, verified by a speed app.

I'm very impressed with it, and there is pride of ownership, but I can't say I love it yet. I'm still using the Nokia as it seems wider and easier to type on.

** Incidentally, having looked at two reviews of the iPhone 12's, MIUI 12 is incredibly similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ocnbrze
20:9 ratio....wow!!!!

my note 10+ 5g is 19:9. i will never go smaller when it comes to phones.....for me the bigger is better. i am even contemplating getting the new fold when it comes out next year.

and to be honest the only apps i have turned to full aspect ratio are for netflix, google movies, prime video, and disney+ the rest of the apps have full aspect ratio turned off.

Upvote 0
20:9 ratio....wow!!!!

my note 10+ 5g is 19:9. i will never go smaller when it comes to phones.....for me the bigger is better. i am even contemplating getting the new fold when it comes out next year.

and to be honest the only apps i have turned to full aspect ratio are for netflix, google movies, prime video, and disney+ the rest of the apps have full aspect ratio turned off.

The Note 10+ and 20+ I see on store display seem "normal", ie wide enough to type and read website pages from. I hadn't considered what ratio they were.

I didn't know selecting a ratio for certain apps was a thing, maybe it's Samsung's UI.

This Mi 10 Lite was a great bargain, and the specs should keep me happy. I should give it a fair bit of use before I condemn it just because the screen seems too slim.

The other two things that are mildly annoying are the in screen fps and the recent apps gesture. The fps works first time every time for every finger, but it's a graphical drama that takes up to 2 seconds too long (maybe I'll try disabling the graphic shenanigans). My Nokia's rear fps is instant.

The swipe up halfway for recent apps has deteriorated from the initial experience to where I often can't get it at all. Slow deliberate movement seems best but it doesn't always work from the same spot. Back to full navigation buttons as there's no in between option, unless I try another launcher.

I pick up a case and glass from an Amazon locker tomorrow and will try to stick with it. It has a lot going for it.

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
This is thin and long, and it's not even 21:9 :p

Screenshot_2020-11-08-22-08-16-192_com.android.settings.png

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones