• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T announces the Captivate!!!

Upvote 0
I love the phone and right now it is between the Dell Streak and this but my ONLY complaint is no flash. Why no flash for the 5MP Camera? This makes it impossible to take pictures at night. Any insight on this?

To be honest, I don't understand the need for a flash on a phone (unless its a Xenon flash)...but then again I rarely (if ever) need to take pictures in the dark. It falls in my "nice to have column" along with a front facing camera.

I guess people taking pictures in dimly lit bars is a serious hobby...lol.

;)

Also, I don't think there is a front facing camera, at least I don't see one. If you compare the Galaxy S "original" and the Captivate, they both have those squares which I assume are the light and proximity sensor. The Galaxy S also has the circle which I assume is the front facing camera which doesn't appear on the Captivate.

Upvote 0
Regarding the front facing camera, I don not see any mention of it having one in any of the several articles, and the press release, that I've read. I'd like to have it but can live without it.

I'd also like to have the flash, for the occasional time when I want to take a pic when it's too dark for a decent picture. Of course, I don't think anyone expects to replace their digital camera with a phone camera, but I don't carry my camera with me all the time, and I doubt that many people do.

I"m anxious...although in both directions. I have concern about them not allowing apps to be installed except from the Android market. Leaves me longing for root, and also a backup image of original so it can be restored for possible warranty needs.

Upvote 0
And...I see the same thing, one of them is a proximity sensor I'm willing to bet.

If you look closely, the Galaxy-S has the same 2 rectangles in a slightly different configuration to the left of the speaker grill, plus the camera on the right. Well heck, no front facing camera. Not a deal-breaker for me at all (I probably would never ever use it), but a shame they didn't include it.

Upvote 0
Quote from AT&T's Android page (emphasis mine):

Q. Why can't apps be installed from sources outside of the Android Market?
A. Android Market, managed by Google, is open to all developers. There is no approval process for applications, they are all accepted by default and Google has stated that they place apps in the Android Market within 24 hours of their submission. AT&T selected Android Market as the exclusive source for applications because it forces developers to be accountable for the apps they submit. If the Android community has issues with an app, the app can be flagged and removed. This minimizes the risk of malicious apps harming customers and provides more protection to the customer’s private data stored on the phone.

Upvote 0
I don't know about you guys but I like the original look better.

I"m thinking I like the original look better too. Some complain about it looking to "iPhone"ish. But it looks nice.

No flash. No Front Camera.

Re: the apps. I guess the Android Market sounds better than it being that we have to purchase from AT&T (which is what I was afraid it meant), but I still prefer to have it open.

Upvote 0
Ya I'm sorry but i think the original sgs looks better than this ATT version. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that tmo still comes out with the original sgs style with front facing camera (though ill prob never use it). Something about this att version that i do not like. Can't put my finger on it.....i guess it looks kinda boring.

Upvote 0
You are right, ATT will not be expanding their 1900 footprint, as all new expansion will be 850, but 1900 is currently fairly widespread, at least in the metro areas.

Just a minor correction. AT&T is expanding using 850MHz 3G in markets where it holds 850MHz licenses. In markets (Raleigh-Durham, NC) where AT&T only holds 1900MHz licenses, it is adding 1900MHz towers. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones