• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Attempted to Root, no success

Selecting recovery gets me to that new console... sorry for the confusion, did not realize I had to select recovery (as I was looking for a completely different screen).

I am loading Eris Official 1.0 right now, my PC does not recognize the phone though -- should I be worried or wait until the new ROM installs?

just flash the rom. deal with things one at a time

Upvote 0
just flash the rom. deal with things one at a time

+1

andrizoid said:
EU.....wtf is up with you not accepting private messages?!

No affront is intended - I don't use PMs or accept friend requests, or any of that stuff - (everybody gets the same treatment, so, nobody is being singled out). I spend too much time on this board as it is, and it would only be worse if I was also dealing with PMs.

Something that is worth saying is probably worth saying in public so that others can benefit from it.

I looked back at the first couple of posts, and (now) realize you were not trying to lead him down the PB00IMG.ZIP path - he was all over the map with his questions and you were just trying to be helpful.

That's the thing about helping out folks that are new to this - they don't know what the right questions to ask are, and without standing right next to them to see what they are doing, it is really easy to assume that they are doing something correctly (when they are not).

cheers,

eu1

Upvote 0
ya. i was about 2 posts away from having him install teamviewer so i could figure out what was going on and take him from there

Here's a story you will enjoy.

I used to work at this office where there was one IT guy supporting 100+ workstations of all flavors - SunOS, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Windows 95/98/2000, SGI, Apollo, - you name it, we had it.

One day he gets a call from an Admin who needs some help installing some software from a server; she is having some trouble at the steps which mention "mapping a network drive" on her (Windows) PC.

So, the IT guy figures, "well, that's a common enough task, I'll swing by her office and show her how to do that, so she won't have to ask again in the future; maybe she can even help her co-workers that need to install the same software."

So, he sits down with her, and barely has he begun to walk her through the steps involved, when she suddenly gets up and walks out of her office without saying a word!

Somewhat puzzled, he sits there for a little while, thinking "maybe she needed to go to the bathroom urgently; I'll just wait a little bit until she comes back."

So, he waits a little while, and after a minute or two, the phone in the Admin's office rings. The phones were of the type that show the caller's extension & name in a small display, and he recognized - "say, that call is coming from my office!"

So he answers the Admin's phone. On the other end of the line - it's the Admin! She says a single sentence to him, and he bursts out laughing.

Clearly, something had gone horribly wrong in the way that he had given instructions on how to "map a network drive"; but what was it that he said that had gone so wrong?

"First, go to My Computer..."

-----------------------------------------------------------

That simple sentence had meant to the IT person "find the My Computer icon on your desktop", and to the other - who interpreted it literally, it meant "go to my computer" :)

Giving people instructions on how to do computer-related tasks via message boards, or e-mail, or IRC chat, or over the phone can be incredibly frustrating for both parties - at every step there are opportunities for misunderstandings. The typical case is that the person that "knows how to solve the problem" thinks that something reasonable happened on the other end of the line - when it didn't, or some tiny bit of language was completely misunderstood, and something completely different happened. ( "But you never told me I was supposed to hit the Enter key!" - LOL )

Sometimes those misunderstandings even occur in face-to-face situations :D

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones